STORMO! Forum Index

STORMO! Forum Index

Reply to topic

Given the lack of progress in Afghanistan should the EI pullout as the British are expected to do ?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

6 Italian soldiers killed in Kabul suicide blast
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Italian troops are generally well liked as peace keepers around the world so this new attack comes somewhat as a surprise especially since Italian troops are not deployed in combat roles in the region. Is Afghanistan worth the cost ? Is Afghanistan strategically important to the West at this time ? Cast your vote.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32890307/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Those Afghanis like the money from growing opium.Can't see the West ever winning them over.But it's a good theater for developing war toys.Stay. Smile
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Hello All,
NATO, cannot win in Afghanistan because the Afghan people DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE!!
Meanwhile, Nato soldiers will die and keep dying for what?
Let us not forget the mighty RED ARMY in Afghanistan!!
What did they accomplish in 10 years? Nothing.
Between December 25, 1979 and February 15, 1989, a total of 620,000 soldiers served with the forces in Afghanistan (though there were only 80,000-104,000 serving at one time. A further 21,000 personnel were with the Soviet troop contingent over the same period doing various white collar and blue collar jobs.

After the war ended, the Soviet Union published figures of dead Soviet soldiers: the total was 13,836 men, an average of 1,512 men a year. According to updated figures, the Soviet army lost 14,427, the KGB lost 576, with 28 people dead and missing.
Does the US and the rest of NATO really think that there will be change in Afghanistan?
You be the judge.
Vincent.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Biondi
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vince, also add the fact that the Soviets didn't take into consideration civilian causalities and conducted a much more vigorous offensive. It boils down to defending a backward, primitive group of people with little upside. In my opinion the Western Allies have already reached their objectives, the removal of Al Qaeda and if the Taliban return with Al Qaeda then the Western Allies go back in. Al Qaeda have lost a significant amount of support in the ME. But I kind of like Bryan's point, its a good place to test new war toys Smile

Support Our Advertisers!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteFind all posts by Webmaster
GAJouette

Hello All,
I believe the basic goal of removing the Taliban was been satisfied. As history shows the Afghanis have never completely been defeated or are they likely to be anytime in the near future. No doubt even with the full might of the U.S military applied . This Nation building idea will never happen.

I believe that is time to pull out,we've done what our stated goal was.Now the for the Afghanis to sink or swim on their own.
David Elvy
Pilota

The Taliban will be back and the Afghans will sink.
Vincent Fiore
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

While the west still has the might they should wage an all out war and incinerate all the problem nations. If the west does not do it now, when they have the bomb, they will do to us. You can rest assured about that. Strike now before it is too late !!!!!
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailFind all posts by Vincent Fiore
flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

There is an association in Germany called Kindersdorf, in Düsseldorf, which flies in kids from Afghanistan with the most horrendous wounds and no chances of proper treatment. These children are then "distributed" among hospitals in Germany which then perform the required surgeries completely "pro bono". ABout 3 weeks ago my boss and I spent 5 1/2 hours reconstructing the esophagus of a 3-year old child who was forced to swallow battery fluid by "a soldier" (we don't know which side). A few months ago we saw a young girl whose leg was eaten away by infection after being hit by shrapnel.

So, for all of those here that advocate attacks, strikes, anihilation, continuous warfare, I would suggest that you take a minute to acknowledge the unbearable burden such wars place on ALL sides. And I do not believe 3 year old children can be considered terrorists.
Neither I agree that young soldiers being sent to death in a war which has brought very little concrete results. Just my 2 Cents

Alex
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your post Alex, its appreciated and it underlines the real horror of war.

Support Our Advertisers!
pante11
Comandante di Squadriglia

I've spent 10 years in the Italian air force as a Tornado pilot..nevertheless I'm really looking forward to see our troops home...the Afghan people simply doesn't want forein troops over there and furthemore this is a war wanted by the former president Bush..I thought Abama would have pulled out the soldiers faster...that is my opinion
regards to everybody
Fredi "pante11"
m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

I agree with Gregory Jouette. The goal of forcing the Taliban government to fall has been reached. I don't think that a prolonged staying of foreign troops to "help" locals to consolidate democracy would sort the desired effect. If Talibans will recover their power after allied army leave the country, that's what Afghan people wants. If the majority of the country really doesn't want the Taliban return, and they are well motivated, that majority will find the way on their own. If they allow the Taliban to return, this means they are not motivated or they are not a majority.
All that said, Honour to Folgore paratroopers: from El Alamein to Kabul, they never surrender and never step back.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

m.lacivita wrote:
All that said, Honour to Folgore paratroopers: from El Alamein to Kabul, they never surrender and never step back.

Amen.

Support Our Advertisers!
flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

There have been many threats this week in regards to the upcoming general elections in Germany next Sunday. Apparently, Al-Qaeda is planning on a blood bath should the CDU and Merkel win again (which is likely, and particularly now in a right-oriented coalition with Westerwelle from the FDP).

If that really comes to pass, I strongly question what were this 8 years of war in Afghanistan worth... apparently Al-Qaeda is alive and kicking.

Let's only hope this is not true.

Cheers

Alex
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

flyingbabydoc wrote:
There have been many threats this week in regards to the upcoming general elections in Germany next Sunday. Apparently, Al-Qaeda is planning on a blood bath should the CDU and Merkel win again (which is likely, and particularly now in a right-oriented coalition with Westerwelle from the FDP).

If that really comes to pass, I strongly question what were this 8 years of war in Afghanistan worth... apparently Al-Qaeda is alive and kicking.

Let's only hope this is not true.

Cheers

Alex

Again, its strange that Al-Qaeda would target Germany since the Germans (like the Italians) did not deploy troops in combat roles (the German troops are really peace keepers).

Support Our Advertisers!
Mike Powell

I believe there are two issues of concern; preventing al-Qaeda from enjoying a safe haven state and ensuring the security of Pakistan's nuclear WMD. Both these ends in my opinion are best served by defeating the Taliban. The present situation on the ground is ugly but can improve, just as Iraq did after the US surge. We'll see if President Obama's campaign and early presidency posturing on the "goodness" of the war in Afghanistan have any meaning. I believe he could go either way, but my perception that he will not alienate the left wing of his party during the struggle over health care leaves me pessimistic.

Yours,

Mike Powell
6 Italian soldiers killed in Kabul suicide blast