Veltro herringbone colours

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Kagemusha
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Veltro herringbone colours

Post by Kagemusha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:20 am

I received part 3 of the Aeronautica Italiana books and there is an illustration of 22 of 2a Squadriglia, which is finished in the herringbone pattern, however the colours have been interpreted as RLM 74/75/76, as opposed to verde oliva scuro, nocciola chiaro, and grigio azzurro chiaro which I have seen it illustrated in previously.

Don't want to stir up a hornets nest, but I was wondering what others thought about this, I have a PCM kit earmarked for this plane.

Mirek Riha
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Mirek Riha » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 am

Hello,

IMHO, the use of RLM colors in herringbone pattern is wrong. If the RLM colors were used, why would a recolor scheme in Mc 205 (RLM colors correspond to the new Regulation). And what about Fiat? Last airplanes in herringbone pattern is in Verde Oliva Scuro 2 a Nocciola chiaro 4.
For the Fiat factory new regulation not the case?...

Mirek

LazyCat
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by LazyCat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Logic - WHY to repaint Mc 205 in RLM colors if they are delivered painted with RLM colors?
Germans have experimented with pattern close to herringbone on Bf 109 and probably few Fw190 A before 1944.
Hence look will not be mistaken for US or British planes.
Wait, watch, listen, then pounce!

modeldad
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by modeldad » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:18 pm

I have been in contact with a researcher on the ANR and who was in contact with Waldis et al. He indicated that they were provided with the "correct" information, rejected it and went off on their own without any real basis for the use of LW colors.

This is not the first instance of Wladis et al ignoring existing information and research.

The color tones used in the herringbone scheme have not the slightest resemblance to 74/75

Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman