CR.42 AS Sand Filter

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
Cjohn62
Comandante di Squadriglia

CR.42 AS Sand Filter

Post by Cjohn62 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:19 am

I have been comparing the Italeri CR.42 AS sand filter against photo's of the same. It appears that the Italeri sand filter is too deep in profile and the inlet opening too small (parts 40 and 41). The Classic Airframes CR.42 AS fit does a better job of capturing the sand filter's depth and the inlet opening than the Italeri kit; but misses the reverserd curve of the aft portion and the cutaway angled section of the origional inlet fairing (captured on the Italeri part). The solution I think would be to reduce the depth of the Italeri sand filter by some 0.03-0.04" and open up the inlet by thinning the sides. Are there any available drawings from the "Catalogo Nomeclatore" (spare parts catalog/IPB)?

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:11 pm

If you can get your hand on one sampler of the Italian classic G50 set, you will have the perfect one, also the one from Flying Machines G-50 are quite good too. The Italeri's one is of the wrong shape and opening. Regards, jean.

Cjohn62

CR.42 AS Sand Filter

Post by Cjohn62 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:28 am

Thank you for identifying a source for a correct sand filter. Unless someone were willing to part with the part in question, that would seem like a lot of money to spend for just a sand filter. Unless someone like Quick Boost comes to the rescue it would seem that my best option is to correct and/or rework the shape of the kit parts.

Presently, I have an un-Italian 1/48 P-51A (detailed with a Verlinden cockpit and the excellent Part photoetch set), named after my wife Jackie, on my bench. Once I recover from my shoulder surgery, and finish the P-51A, I hope to build a 1/48 CR.42 AS with the missing dual oil coolers and a corrected sand filter.