CR.42 162a Sqd. 161 Gruppo No 162-5

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
J11_Falco
Pilota

CR.42 162a Sqd. 161 Gruppo No 162-5

Post by J11_Falco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Ciao!

I´ve started building the old Classic Airframes CR.42. This kit inludes markings for a CR.42 of 162a Sqd., 161 Gruppo with number 162-5.

The kit instructions claim the colors of this machine were Green 34096 with blotches of Olive Green 34052 over Light grey 36307. This camouflage looks cool but I wonder if it is authentic? The well known picture of CR.42 162-6 suggests that that aircraft wasn´t painted like the CA instructions? Does anyone know whether the instructions are correct or should I paint my model like 162-6?

TIA
Martin

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 pm

There have been endless discussions about the colors of the CR.42 of 162 ^ Sq..
In my opinion all the misunderstandings have been hatched from an incorrect translation of color printing of original slides..
It makes little sense that the original scheme Fiat has been changed on some aircrafts..
It's true that many researchers think it is a (perhaps the only?) application of the directive on mimetic "seasonal", but personally I think the CR.42 of 162 Sq ^ were painted with the classic three-tone scheme of Fiat.

Obviously IMHO..

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 am

Other researchers claim that was made an oversprayed pitched that has altered the background color..
Noting the splash of color over the FIAT written on the fuselage..

Or, as in that other plane that is NOT the 162-6, the NACA engine has been oversprayed (little green stain on the edge) after the application of yellow..

So, as you see, there are researchers who think in a way, and others who think differently..
The issue is controversial for all aircraft of 162^ Sq., then also for the 162-5..

Honestly in the past, there were heated discussions that I have also personally involved, so I'll put the photos that are normally found on the net, then you decide how to color your Falco.. :roll:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CR.42 162a Sqd. 161 Gruppo No 162-5

Post by Editor » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:18 pm

J11_Falco wrote:Ciao!

I´ve started building the old Classic Airframes CR.42. This kit inludes markings for a CR.42 of 162a Sqd., 161 Gruppo with number 162-5.

The kit instructions claim the colors of this machine were Green 34096 with blotches of Olive Green 34052 over Light grey 36307. This camouflage looks cool but I wonder if it is authentic? The well known picture of CR.42 162-6 suggests that that aircraft wasn´t painted like the CA instructions? Does anyone know whether the instructions are correct or should I paint my model like 162-6?

TIA
Martin
Green over green with GAC1 undersides is incorrect. This all started with an incorrect analysis of the color scheme as Daniele mentioned - I believe it began with Fredinado D'Amico having made this mistake in a reference. It is now believed to be the classical C1 three tone camo scheme as Daniele mentioned.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAero ... WII_3a.htm

An example of this plane now sits at Vigna:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/Reference ... Valle.html

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:19 pm

I agree with Vince..
The first image that I have posted is a direct scan of the original diapo that I was lucky to see..

J11_Falco
Pilota

Post by J11_Falco » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:32 am

Thanks for the replies. It seems that in the field some improvement was made on the paint work. Judging from those pictures that you kindly provided there is however no photografic evidence that support the camouflage pattern of 162-5 that Classic Airfames include in their instructions? Unless there´s a good picture of 162-5 supporting CA. I find it unlikely.

I´m not sure what to do. The camouflage pattern of 162-6 seems very difficult to get right. I might go for the other option, a CR.42 of 83a Sqd, 18 Gruppo instead.

Cjohn62
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

CR.42 162a Sqd 161 Grp Colors

Post by Cjohn62 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:43 am

Martin, I would agree with Daniele that 162a Sqd 161 Grp aircraft were painted in the Fiat factory scheme; likely with silver doped lower surfaces and pale blue or blue-gray struts. The yellow cowlings were most likely painted at unit level; and the over spray could be the result of lifting of shifting of the masking material.

Period color photos while invaluable, should be taken with a grain of salt. Accuracy of colors in the reproduced color photographs are subject to many variables; such as how the origional film negatives were processed and stored, as well how the printed photos were processed and stored. Further reproduced images are reproductions of reproductions. Colors can shift dependent upon the quality and characteristics of the film and paper used; as well as how long the film and prints were in developing chemicals, the temperature of the chemicals, and how many negatives and prints had been processed using the chemicals. Additional shifting of colors occurs when photos are reproduced using printing inks.

I hope I have not muddied the waters too much, and I wish you luck with your project.

warhawk
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by warhawk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 am

Hi, if it is of any help, i have started a discussion on that theme on this forum
http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=141

Also, I have just completed a model and decided to do a standard scheme based on my own interpretations
http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=800

Regards
Aleksandar