Manama Refinery

Post topics relating to the geopoltical events in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria e.g., the bombing of the Manama Refinery, Fiat CR.42s in Iraq
Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Manama Refinery

Post by Bryan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:57 pm

That Flight was something else for it's day,but the event is barely talked about.The British claimed not much damage,I'm sure they must have downplayed it,how well defended was it?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Hello Bryan,
Agreed, the flight is hardly mentioned. The SM.82s involved in that bombing run covered 4200km in 15h 30min, the worlds longest operational flight to that date (Oct. 19 1940). As far as I can remember the refinery was not defended, however it did force the British to deploy AA batteries and a fighter squadron nearby - the point of the operation. If you'd like to borrow my reference, your welcome to it. Ciao.

mapalm
Pilota

Post by mapalm » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:48 am

Hi guys,

if you're interested in this mission and you can read in italiano, than you'd look for this book:
P. Moci, Seguendo la bandiera - vita di un pilota, Giorgio Apostolo Editore 2001;
where the author, who was in the first S.82 with maggiore Ettore Muti, wrote some interesting pages on the mission.

I had the chance to read the official report from 41° Gruppo Autonomo BT HQ and can confirm you that the refinery was not defended. The bombers did not meet any reaction.

ciao

ps: congratulations for the forum, the idea is great and ambitious and I wish her all the best luck! :)
Manlio Palmieri

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Ciao Manlio,
Thank you for your kind words and thank you for your post.

SuperAereo
Pilota

Post by SuperAereo » Thu May 31, 2007 8:06 pm

A link to an online article that was posted a few days ago on an Itlian forum (article in Italian, I am afraid):

http://www.dodecaneso.org/bahrein.htm

mapalm
Pilota

Post by mapalm » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:39 am

Ciao Super :)

Good suggestion. That's a very interesting site and a pretty good source of infos. (and the on line pages about the mission are an abstract from Moci's book)
Manlio Palmieri

SuperAereo
Pilota

Post by SuperAereo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:15 pm

mapalm wrote:Ciao Super :)

Good suggestion. That's a very interesting site and a pretty good source of infos. (and the on line pages about the mission are an abstract from Moci's book)

Hi Manlio, nice to see you here!

I didn't know about the pages being an extract from Moci's book, living in the UK my ingnorance about Italian books is both abyssal and abysmal, thank you for the precisation! :D

mapalm
Pilota

Post by mapalm » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:17 am

SuperAereo wrote:
... is both... abysmal...
You make me search the dictionary for that! :twisted: never heard before... talking about ignorance. :lol:

ciao
Manlio Palmieri