Danakil Wreckage

Post topics relating to fighters, bombers, ground attack aircraft, transports, powerplants, ordnance, armament, materials construction, design, secret weapons, flak, radar, ground equipment (e.g., autotreno 3000)
Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Danakil Wreckage

Post by Bryan » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:22 pm

A picture of an aircraft wreckage in the Danakil region of Ethiopia.Any guess as to what it is?

http://www.eritreaplanet.com/afrera/00059.html

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Just a guess, if its a wreckage of an Italian plane, it could be a Fiat CR.42 (from the gearbox) although it looks a little small for an A74. We would know for certain if there were a closeup shot of the engine since a plate would be found on the reduction gearbox with the manufacturers name, the model name and number, fuel type etc. The plane could also be British.

lb
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by lb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:50 am

Hi to you all

As Vince suggestet I think the wreck is a Bristol Blenheim , as you can see in the further two shots on the same site , the two engines still connectect troght the truss spar structure , the craft lies upside-down .

Marco Bossi

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Danakil Wreckage

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:49 am

Hello Bryan,
My educated guess would be most definately a Bristol Blenheim. The other pictures show two engines and the frame is made of metal.
Also, of all the aircraft that the SAAF and RAF lost in the East African Campaign, a large percentage were Blenheims, so that would be my guess.
Vincent.

Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Bryan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Thank you all.The volcano can be viewed on Google Earth on this page,about 2 degrees south of Asmara.

http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano ... m=0201-09=