RA RADIO EQUIPMENTS (APPARATI RADIOELETTRICI DELLA RA)

Post topics relating to fighters, bombers, ground attack aircraft, transports, powerplants, ordnance, armament, materials construction, design, secret weapons, flak, radar, ground equipment (e.g., autotreno 3000)
ERRETI
Pilota

RA RADIO EQUIPMENTS (APPARATI RADIOELETTRICI DELLA RA)

Post by ERRETI » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 am

I am interested in WW2 radio sets but specially to the radio electronic equipments used from the italians during the war. I know that this matter it is no so popular like other, but I guess not less important.
Hope to find here some fan of this topic and open a fruitfull discussion.
I look for all kind of informations, and any help will be appreciated
ERRETI

Ludovico Slongo
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:26 am

Dear ERRETI,
By chance I've recently discovered this article : www.qsl.net/ik0moz/ra_articoli.htm. Unless You are the author, I'm sure You are finding the info written in it very interesting.
Ciao
Ludovico

Capitano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Capitano » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Dear ERRETI...You have interesting tastes. WWII Italian radios could be a very narrow topic. Don't be surprised if you find yourself becoming an expert at it very soon. Good luck on your search and welcome to the forum.

Ludovico Slongo

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:49 am

I notice only now that the link I provided doesn't exist anymore. Luckily on Christmas eve I've downloaded the article on Italian RT by Mario Galasso. The author at the end of the article wrote that "the use of the infos contained in the article is allowed mentioning the source" so I think I can upload here the orginal article (once I've found it). Be patient.
ciao

Ludovico

ERRETI
Pilota

Post by ERRETI » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:08 am

Hi boys, I am the autor of the mentioned article, hope you engioed to read it. I know The radio it is not considered important like engines, guns, bombs, speed......
I will post early something, for Ludovico: you can post the article (I am a beginner in forum problem and I have no idea like proceed) and see what happen
ERRETI (RT means RadioTelegrafista) - Mario

Ludovico Slongo

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:02 am

dear Mario,
it is a pleasure to meet you.
If you look at my previous mail you'll see that -don't know exactly why- I had a certain feeling that you could be the author :wink: .
The field you are studying, it's extremely iteresting (at least for me). Once read your article I went for a quick search in the net with your name and I discovered that you've already written publications on RT equipements of the Regio Esercito. Really hope you are writing something similar for Regia Aeronautica. It is the study that really lacks. Apart from a small booklet of Alberto Spanziani on radiotelephonic flying helmets, published by IBN on 2002 nothing else exists on this crucial field.
Presently I'm not able to find your article. I've copied it into a word file and then printed. Perhaps the file is inside some USB key... However I've so many things to ask you about radio eqipents... If possible I would start immediately with one: What does "quarzata" mean exactly. I've read that the radio quarzate were more reliable than the non quarzate, but not knowing the meaning of the word ( even with the help of Wikipedia) I wasn't able to understand exactly why this happens.
Again very happy to have met you.
Ludovico

ERRETI
Pilota

Post by ERRETI » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

Dear Ludovico, I will try. Quarzate = Crystal controlled. I will spoke about a transmitter because it is simpler but for receiver is the same. A trasmitter is basically done from an Oscillator and a Power Amplifier (PA). Oscillator generates a signal then amplified from the PA. From the PA the signal goes to the air by the Antenna system. (Note: the americans say ANTENNA the British and Canadians say AERIAL). The oscillator gives the working frequency, and the quality of this circuit must be very fine. The bigger problem is that the generated signal must be stable otherwise there is a frequency shifting creating tuning problem. The oscillator can be variable or fixed. Variable means that the frequency is controlled by a knob, turning this knob you can tune a frequerncy. The Knob is attached to a variable capacitor and a coil. This kind of circuit is subject to the temperature, shocks and vibrations. To avoid this problem there is another type of oscillator (fixed) that instead of Coil/Capacitor circuit have a Crystal (Quarzo). For the main performance of the crystal (quarzo) look to Wikipedia. In this case the problem is that each Crystal has a specific frequency so the set can work in only one channel. Of course it is possible have several crystals (and then several channel) but you are forced to stay there.
During the ww2 Italians and germans used variable tuning sets, while british and then americans 5 or 6 channel crystal controlled set (quarzati) (SCR522). For general info the SCR522 has been used from all NATO airforces up to 1960.
This in very simple words because the explenation should be more difficult and complicate. I beg your pardon
Mario

Ludovico Slongo

Post by Ludovico Slongo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:21 pm

Mario, thank you very much, really.
You've used sufficiently simple words to give me a general idea of the subject. I really couldn't hope in more than this. Now I'm leaving for a short period abroad but I'll be back end next week and (if not too much disturb for you) I'll ask some more questions... BTW I'm a mechanical engineer that works for an american firm near Padua. I've been researching the history of Italian fighter units during last conflict for more than fifteen years and in the last years -mainly thanks to the friendship with Sweden researcher Hakan Gustavsson- I've started to write on the subject.
All this I told You in case you think I could be of any help for your researches.
ciao
Ludovico