SM81 armament

Post topics relating to fighters, bombers, ground attack aircraft, transports, powerplants, ordnance, armament, materials construction, design, secret weapons, flak, radar, ground equipment (e.g., autotreno 3000)
dmilne7
Pilota

SM81 armament

Post by dmilne7 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:28 am

Have just completed Italeri kit of the SM81.
Would like to have details of the two turrets on this aircraft.
Were they power operated? Did they both hold two 7.7mm guns?
How was the ventral turret used did the gunner sit in the turret?

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

SM81 Armament.

Post by Aeroal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:09 pm

DMilne,

The only detailed reference on this aeroplane that I know of is Ali d'Italia No. 29. This is remarkably sketchy in its technical detail, not even noting the manufacturers of the turrets or armament.

In initial configuration, both turrets held 2 x 7.7mm. guns. Later variants could have a Caproni Lanciani turret with counterweight, fitted to the dorsal position. This mounted a single 12.5mm. calibre machine gun.

Both turrets were hydraulically power-operated.

The sectional plan indicates a bicycle style seat in the upper turret, thereby inferring a manned installation. |It shows no such seat for the belly turret. From this, I can only deduce that it was operated remotely. The belly turret superstructure seems too shallow to house a gunner. I am open to correction in this supposition if anyone knows better.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Aeroal.

dmilne7
Pilota

SM 81 Armament

Post by dmilne7 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 am

Aeroal

Thank you for your useful response. Covers my questions.
I think you must be correct about the ventral turret being remotely controlled there does not seem to be enough room for the gunner to be inside. I do not have any photos of the interior of the SM 81 but this rear section looks from the model I have to be quite crowded! There are one (possibly two) beam gunners, the wireless operator's station and this retractable ventral turret.
I know the B17 had a manned ventral "ball turret" but it was extremely cramped, the gunners had to be of slight physique and it was not easy to escape from.

Regards

DMilne7