Baracca's SPAD XIII article now available in english

Post topics relating to WWI and WWII Italian Air Aces
gioca
Pilota

Baracca's SPAD XIII article now available in english

Post by gioca » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:31 am

the article about Baracca's SPAD XIII is now available translated in english.
Have a look here:

http://www.unosettantadue.net/content/v ... 2/lang,it/

Thanks

ciao

Giovanni

Nino
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Nino » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:35 am

Hi,

I am a little confused about Francesco Baracca's flight history. From my reading he had more success with the SPAD Xlll than any other WW1 fighter. I am aware that there is a book out by Shiffer (around 490 pages) on WW1 aces? Can someone please give me an indication of what this book is like. Does it cover markings and flight combat mission info on Baracca.

Also i have read that he died in a SPAD Xlll and read elsewhere he died in a SPAD Vll? Please clarify. I was going to buy the Eduard 1/72 ltd edition SPAD Xlll early version kit? Any comments on it.
Regards
Antonio
Antonio
Forza (G.55)

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:40 pm

Ciao Tony,
According to Jon Guttman Opsrey #39 "Spad VII Aces of Wordl War I", 91a Sq was equipped with the SPAD XIII from about the battle of Caporetto to the end of WWI. Baracca was KIA in June 1918 when the unit was fully equipped with Spad XIIIs. I believe 91a sq. was the only elite unit to be fully equipped with the plane to the end of WWII although most Italian airmen preferred the Niueport 17 and the HD.1. Baracca preferred the Spad VII to the Spad XIII. He believed speed was useful for reconassinace planes but agility was more important in a dogfight and hence his preferrence for the nimbler Spad VII and other planes such as the Nu.17 and HD.1.

Eduard kits in general are very well designed and worth the cost. I can not comment on this kit but I know the 1/48 HD.1 is beautifully constructed and inline with most their high-quality 1/48 kits.

Nino
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Nino » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:34 am

Vince,

Thanks for the info!
I did read the article by (Gioca) Giovanni, also in this forum and found it very informative.

Is it actually confirmed that he died in a SPAD Xlll?.

The markings in the Eduard kit only have the prancing horse and not the griffon. If i wanted to build a replica of his SPAD Xlll from his last sortie which markings are the correct ones? From the article i read in this forum, it seems that it is unclear whether he had the griffon on one side with the horse on the other or the same outline on both sides of the air-craft or perhaps it varied from figther to fighter.

Any additional info would be most appreciated. I wanted to acurately display Baracca's air-craft in a last sortie diorama! Hence the questions!

Regards
Nino (Forza Veltro C.205)
Antonio
Forza (G.55)

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 am

Most of the time kit manufacturers are working with the same information as you and I, and sometimes even less. I don't know what markings Baracca was flying with on his last mission and I think this will be difficult to know without a photograph. I have the 1/32 Hobby Craft kit of Baracca's plane. I believe the kit is a SPAD XIII and I can check the markings of the kit to confirm the presence of the Griffon - this will at least give you something to consider. The best way to confirm markings is to research actual photos of the plane you're building.

Nino
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Nino » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Ciao Vince,

If you could check for me from your 1/32 scale kit, i would appreciate it.
And yes, despite all the reading and material available, it is hard to get a complete understanding of actual markings during particular sorties!
Antonio
Forza (G.55)

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Ciao Tony,
Sorry for the delay, its absolutely madding around here. Baracca's Spad XIII and markings for the HobbyCraft 1/32 scale kit. There's no Griffon. I don't know the source for these markings.

Nino
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Nino » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Ciao Vince,

Yes, on first inspection they match the Eduard Early SPAD Xlll 1/72 kit.

I may have to investigate further!

thanks again for your assistance!
:)
Antonio
Forza (G.55)