SM79 ACE: The Mysterious Death of Carlo Emanuele Buscaglia

Post topics relating to WWI and WWII Italian Air Aces
Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

SM79 ACE: The Mysterious Death of Carlo Emanuele Buscaglia

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 pm

I have just recently come across an article in a local Novara newspaper, written by Luigi Esposito, about the mysterious death that surrounds Buscaglia.
The latest theory is that when Buscaglia volunteered to join the Allies (Italian Cobelligerant Air Force) against the Germans, his real intentions were to commandeer a Martin Baltimore and fly north to join his fellow SM79 pilots with the ANR! Italian pilots were being trained on the Baltimore for missions against the Germans, Buscaglia took it upon himself to not use a co pilot as trainer for the Baltimore, but rather do it on his own.
Buscaglia died on April 25 1944, a day after crashing an A30 Baltimore at the US base Camp Vesuvio near Naples.
Why did this happen? Since that tragic day, a veil of mystery has surrounded this fatal decision.
There are three possibilities as to why this happened.
1. Buscaglia's refusal to accept a co pilot in the Baltimore as part of the training, thus leading to the crash of the aircraft; (perhaps he had too much pride in accepting a younger less experienced pilot with him)
2. Buscaglia's health and mental state was not very good, he had taken to drinking heavily. His reluctance to accept a new assignment as a secondary rather than a primary, did not sit well with him, since he was used to a hero's role and acclaim, pushed him into committing suicde that day.
3. The reason he wanted to fly the Baltimore alone was to join his fellow SM79 pilots in the north and fly with the ANR against the Allies.
According to Esposito, the third possibilty might very well be the reason he made that decision.
Apparantly, while he was in a POW camp in the US, he had confided with fellow mates about returning to Italy and joining his ANR friends to fight against the Allies.
This is a very interesting theory!
Any thoughts?
Vincent.

Daniele Gatti
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Daniele Gatti » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 am

Hi Vince!

Do You have this newspaper article?
Can you send it to me via email?

My email: danielegatti@alice.it

I would try to contact this journalist..

Thank you very much! :wink:

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi Daniele,
I just moved, and I'll try and find the article,
Take Care,
Vincent.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Daniele,
I found this on Corriere della Sera.
It's basically the same article as was written by Espoisto.

https://archiviostorico.corriere.it/199 ... 1144.shtml
Enjoy,

Vincent.