BR.20 bomber

Post topics relating to the Italian involvement in the Battle of Britain
fredleander
Pilota

BR.20 bomber

Post by fredleander » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am

When researching my book on the Sea Lion operation I found that the situation for the Italian BR.20's operating out of Belgium (CAI) was a little different than how it is usually portrayed, particularly by British proponents. First of all, losses seemed lower than for contemporary RAF bombers operation during daytime over enemy territory and their performance (range, speed, bomb load) was better than most British bombers at the time - not the least their self-defense capability.
www.fredleander.com - a book on Operation Sealion

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Fred, I agree, when one reads the English accounts of the BoB, one gets the impression the Regia Aeronauctica (RA) was wiped out by the RAF, but in fact very few RA losses can be attributed to the RAF. RA losses were mainly due to fuel and or breakdown of equipment. Such was the efficiency of wartime English propaganda.

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:39 pm

I think that we will never get the truth about RAF losses against the RA in BoB, unless one can get info on Italian claims from British sources.
That is hard to get unless you can match claims with Hurricane and Spitfire losses.
According to Vossila, the commander of the CR42 units, the RAF losses to the RA were around 15.
Vincent

fredleander
Pilota

Post by fredleander » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 am

Webmaster wrote:Hi Fred, I agree, when one reads the English accounts of the BoB, one gets the impression the Regia Aeronauctica (RA) was wiped out by the RAF, but in fact very few RA losses can be attributed to the RAF. RA losses were mainly due to fuel and or breakdown of equipment. Such was the efficiency of wartime English propaganda.
Strange as it is, I'd say that proganda is still in effect on dozens of military discussion forums. That goes for all aspects of the war, not the least the potential Operation Sealion in which I have engaged myself somewhat lately. Kids, youths and old hands are equally set at not letting any new perspectives come into play. It is almost comic.... :wink: ...
www.fredleander.com - a book on Operation Sealion