SEM Models

Comments about STORMO! and the Forum as well as Special Annoucements
User avatar
Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Kent, UK

SEM Models

Post by Chris Busbridge » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 am

A bit late in the day admittedly, but I have tried to find out if anyone has put up a notice about the fate of SEM Models, whose products have appeared on this website quite a bit.


https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... ssed-away/

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

SEM Model Effectively Is Out Of Business

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:30 am

Chris Busbridge wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 am
A bit late in the day admittedly, but I have tried to find out if anyone has put up a notice about the fate of SEM Models, whose products have appeared on this website quite a bit.


https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... ssed-away/
Webmaster should respond to your post soon. Am hoping the molds will be bought by others particularly the 1/72nd Savoia-Marchetti SM.84, built all of SEM's other 1/72nd Regia Aeronautica Italiana kits except that one. Am also waiting for Italian Kits Wings to re-release their FIAT G.50V, actually release their long-promised FIAT G.18 twin-engine Douglas DC-2 look-alike, hope they'll be out by end of 2022, retiring from model building then.
Last edited by RetiredInKalifornia on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: SEM Models

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:14 am

Jean posted this a little while ago:

https://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewt ... =20&t=1266

As to the molds and remaining stock apparently it was sold off, I don't know to whom but likely a distributor that may have had a working relationship with Fabrizio.
Vince Tassone

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Do Hope That Was The Case...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:42 am

Editor wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:14 am
Jean posted this a little while ago:

https://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewt ... =20&t=1266

As to the molds and remaining stock apparently it was sold off, I don't know to whom but likely a distributor that may have had a working relationship with Fabrizio.
...More often than not from what I'd read defunct manufacturer's molds are acquired by other model makers terrific examples are the old AMT, Aurora, Hawk, Lindberg, Monogram, MPC, Revell et. al. steel molds acquired by number of companies ala Round2, Maxsmodels YouTube Channell videos must viewing in this regard concerning histories & fates of these great names.
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: SEM Models

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am

The molds for sure would have probably gone back to someone like Philippe Martin. I should shot him an email if he knows exactly what happened to the molds. The inventory to distributors and local shops who would have known Fabrizio.
Vince Tassone

User avatar
Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: SEM Models

Post by Chris Busbridge » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:12 am

Its been while since I was on this forum :oops:

Fabrizio sent me 8 kits to review for Scale Aircraft Modeller Int.. Only five kits made it: 2 Aerfers, SM.1019, Ro.63 and CNA PM.1. All were tough builds apart from the CNA PM.1, which was the best of the bunch. The other three (RE.2006, FC.12 and Ro.58) were put aside.

Fabrizio also sent me photos of the masters he was preparing for the S.74 kit. I hope it reappears as I couldn't face another Broplan kit!

here are the CNA PM1 and Ro.63 elements of the SAMI review.

SEM Model CNA PM1
Image

Image

SEM Model Ro.63
Image

Image

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: SEM Models

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:44 am

Chris Busbridge wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:12 am
Its been while since I was on this forum :oops:
Shame on you :) Glad to see you back! People come and go. Its good timing because I have some your builds that were sitting in my folders that I'll be posting shorting as well some of the museum pics at Vigna di Valle that I completely forgot about (Guilio Gobbi).

Jean did a SEM review or two also. I had Jean slated to do the SEM 1/48 S.84, but incredibly he didn't want to do it. This is just before Fabrizio passed away. I knew something was up because Fabrizio stopped communicating offline and on this forum.
Vince Tassone

User avatar
Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: SEM Models

Post by Chris Busbridge » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 am

I've had plenty of time during the last few months to spend on modelling activities... including re-vamping and expanding the scope of my website as well as catching up on all kinds of models, so I have no excuse!

I have recently completed the Brach Models 1/32 Macchi MC.72, which was a bear of a kit... been working on and off it for far too long.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

At the moment I am doing a meticulous re-appraisal of Special Hobby's 1/72 Piaggio P.108 bomber. This is the third one I've worked on, having built two for SAMI.

Happy to help add more content. Just need to take decent photos :wink:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: SEM Models

Post by Editor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 am

Beautiful job on your MC.72, we need to get it into the Gallery! Its hard to keep focused sometimes with so many distractions, but keep those builds coming!
Vince Tassone

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

When You Communicate Again With Phillppe...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Editor wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am
The molds for sure would have probably gone back to someone like Philippe Martin. I should shot him an email if he knows exactly what happened to the molds. The inventory to distributors and local shops who would have known Fabrizio.
...Tell him for me am down on hands & knees begging he'd get the 1/72nd SM.84 back in production before end of 2022 - pretty please with cherries!
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Nice Builds...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:02 pm

Chris Busbridge wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:12 am
Its been while since I was on this forum :oops:

Fabrizio sent me 8 kits to review for Scale Aircraft Modeller Int.. Only five kits made it: 2 Aerfers, SM.1019, Ro.63 and CNA PM.1. All were tough builds apart from the CNA PM.1, which was the best of the bunch. The other three (RE.2006, FC.12 and Ro.58) were put aside.

Fabrizio also sent me photos of the masters he was preparing for the S.74 kit. I hope it reappears as I coud not face another Broplan kit!

here are the CNA PM1 and Ro.63 elements of the SAMI review.
Ro.63 was tough build for me as well, CNA PM.1 started out easy, cut-trimming & gluing on paper-thin vacuform cockpit windscreen, fabricating clear cockpit door windows were nightmares. SEM Model's S.74 kit was bear to build; thick & heavy castings three-piece mainwing unit in particular complicated by terrible engine cowling/nacelle fits, came out OK though never-ever again will build large resin models. The BroPlan SM.95 vacuform will be my last four-engine Regia Aeronautica Italiana model kit build, thank Gawd its lightweight, bad enough building the S.74 never mind Cunarmodel's Piaggo P.108T Special Hobby P.108A kit conversion last year, still can't believe I'd done it!!!
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:53 pm
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Contact:

Re: When You Communicate Again With Phillppe...

Post by Editor » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 am

RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Editor wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am
The molds for sure would have probably gone back to someone like Philippe Martin. I should shot him an email if he knows exactly what happened to the molds. The inventory to distributors and local shops who would have known Fabrizio.
...Tell him for me am down on hands & knees begging he'd get the 1/72nd SM.84 back in production before end of 2022 - pretty please with cherries!
Philippe says the molds are still with the family. The family has other "serious problems" and he doesn't believe any further kits will be released.
Vince Tassone

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Well...Pretty Much Settles That ;>(

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Editor wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 am
RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm
Editor wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:08 am
The molds for sure would have probably gone back to someone like Philippe Martin. I should shot him an email if he knows exactly what happened to the molds. The inventory to distributors and local shops who would have known Fabrizio.
...Tell him for me am down on hands & knees begging he'd get the 1/72nd SM.84 back in production before end of 2022 - pretty please with cherries!
Philippe says the molds are still with the family. The family has other "serious problems" and he doesn't believe any further kits will be released.
Glad I'd built the Aviation USK/Xotic-72 SM.84s earlier this year! SEM's 1/72 SM.84 would had been in same display case as Italian Kits Wings SM.89 currently shared with the FLY Caproni Ca.101, BroPlan Ca.111 gonna be next to it so have to build another case for the SM.89, must decide whether to order fabricated a two or one-model case for the SM.89. BroPlan Caproni Ca.316 build almost done BTW, gonna be in with Kaproni-Bulgarski KB 6/KB 309 Papagal display case, already ordered case fabricated for the two BroPlan AUT.18 builds, starting on them later this week.
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

User avatar
Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: SEM Models

Post by Chris Busbridge » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:37 am

I built Broplans AUT/18 kit for SAMI. Neat little kits. Hopefully you'll find the link useful.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks, Definitely Will Be...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:33 am

Chris Busbridge wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:37 am
I built Broplans AUT/18 kit for SAMI. Neat little kits. Hopefully you'll find the link useful.
...Both fuselage assemblies done, halves sand-finished after assembly instead of before; tape masking canopies today, don't have resources nor inclination to use cut foil strips. Will replicate mimetico pattern best can of your build for modified AUT.18 (My Marrone Mimetico 2 Model Master 2009 British Crimson + Humbrol 118 80/20 mix), rudder tri-colors spray painted on instead of using kit decals. Propeller & spinner finishes presenting quandary, this mediocare quality presumed early pre-mod photo suggests aluminum blade fronts:

Image

while this really good post-mod one questions whether they're light blue-grey ala RLM 65 been applying for sometime now:

Image

I have to question whether post-mod undersides are Grigio Mimetico or another color altogether, looks almost white, thoughts appreciated here!

My AUT.18 builds won't be up to your standards, 3rd & 4th vacuforms they are, far little experience still to match your magnificent work, just three vacs left including Z.506C conversion, BroPlan SM.95 next after AUT.18s, largest ever vac build it'll be.
Image
Original Art Rendered 1997

Post Reply