to be or not to be ...

Comments about STORMO! and the Forum as well as Special Annoucements

Expand Stormo

Keep Stormo as is, no changes please.
30%
Yes I'd like to see armor topics covered here.
5%
Yes I'd like to see armor and naval topics covered here.
65%

Total votes: 20

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

to be or not to be ...

Post by Editor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:56 pm

I've been struggling with the idea of expanding Stormo to include armor (e.g., Regio Esecito) for quite sometime but I can't make up my mind to either begin a new/separate site for armor or expand Stormo. Please let me know your thoughts or vote in the poll.

Capitano
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Capitano » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 pm

I would not mind ane xpansion. However, I think you could reformulate or condense some of the forums into one another. For instance do you really need a separate forum for France June 20-25, 1940? Or a separate forum for Greece and the Balkans 1940/1941? Some times I don't know where to place a post because it covers several areas or quite doesn't fit into any. My philosophy is less is better, more is confusing.

I think this discussion should be a good one!

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 am

Vince , may be you should have a look at the others in the game. HS for example has some separated forums, including one on ship chat, and I think it works perfectly well. On the other side it is more work for an already busy webmaster, and the answer lays mainly there. There will always be goood souls to ask for more but obviously very few to take a part of the burden. best regrads fro France, jean.

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 am

Vince,
Maybe expanding would be a good idea.But by replacing less used forums as Paul suggested with Armor and Naval forums.The Naval forum would be of great interest to me as someone who also builds Naval subject.As for Armor,I which I don't build I'd be interested in learning more.As it is at present I know next to nothing on the subject.Just my few thoughts on the matter.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 am

Hi Vince,
Definitley,a great idea.
I would expand to include the Regio Esercito and Regia Marina!
Vincent.

m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Agree with Capitano and Jean (D520)

Post by m.lacivita » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:23 am

It would be interesting to have Regio Esercito and Regia Marina also, but, as Capitano said, less is better. Why not to concentrate all the numerous sub-forums into three big ones (RA, RE, RM), each including all the relevant topics (references, history, modeling related question and tips, camouflage and technical questions and so on)? It would be less dispersive, easier for readers to use and for webmaster to run. Something "a la Hyperscale", as Jean pointed. Just my toughts.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 am

No not hyperscale like. One forum that you have to dig through page after page to find something? I like having separate forums but prefer fewer of them. I think.

m.lacivita
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by m.lacivita » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

Capitano wrote:No not hyperscale like. One forum that you have to dig through page after page to find something? I like having separate forums but prefer fewer of them. I think.
Capitano is right about this sort of issue about HS forums, but maybe this problen will not occur on Stormo, since this site is well focused on Italian stuff and has less and more selected traffic. Anyways, any choice from Mr. Tassone would be fine and useful.

Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Bryan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 pm

m.lacivita wrote:
Capitano wrote:No not hyperscale like. One forum that you have to dig through page after page to find something? I like having separate forums but prefer fewer of them. I think.
Capitano is right about this sort of issue about HS forums, but maybe this problen will not occur on Stormo, since this site is well focused on Italian stuff and has less and more selected traffic. Anyways, any choice from Mr. Tassone would be fine and useful.
I am not acquainted with hyperscale.Should this be a hardware oriented forum.Planes,Tanks,Naval craft?

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Essentially hyperscale has about a dozen forums. All airplane discussions go into one of three forums. Tanks and ships have one forum. There are hundreds of pages of discussion one after another in each forum. To find anything, you need to use search or scroll through every single page. It might be an okay set up here since traffic is less, but over there, there are so many posts it becomes burdensome to look for something especially if you don't go there every day.

What I think we are saying here is that maybe several of the forums could be condensed together, there a couple that have few posts, and then add a couple new ones for ships and tanks, or what ever is deemed necessary.

For instance, the Scale Modeling part currently has only four forums; News, General Discussion, Color and Camo, and Pics. This part could be expanded (should be) that better defines the modeling community. The World War II part has 14 forums. Several of these could be grouped together. This is more of a modeling site, to me at least, than a WWII site. See what I mean?

Paul

Bryan
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Bryan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Agree.

flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by flyingbabydoc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:34 am

I would very much like to see a forum of the Regia Marina. I am not into armor but, as Gregory said, would like to learn more about it.
And I agree with Capitano and the others that condensing some of the less-visited forums in Stormo may be a good way of making the navigation easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Aeroal » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 am

Vince,

As a lifelong aircraft enthusiast and a modeller of aircraft only, I would prefer to have a strictly aircraft related forum. If ships and military vehicles are to be added, I feel it would be better if these are in seperate fora. I have no objection to the addition of Army and Navy subjects.

Kind regards,

Aeroal.

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Then why not a stormo-armor then? I think something can be worked out that makes all of us happy.

Paul

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 am

Thank you all for your comments and polling data. I've heard you loud clear and what I'm taking away from all this is the following:

1) To reduce the number of topics on the forums - I agree, the forum needs to be pruned to a subset of the current topics
2) Regarding armor - I had to think long and hard about this, however I think I'll create a sub-domain to handle armor. It'll be its own 'site' but sit below stormo. In the meantime I have armor articles that I'll post on stormo until this is done.

Jean's comments pretty much hit the mark; there's allot of work creating a ‘professional’ site. And there's still allot of work remaining to get Stormo to where I had intended, ie., a dynamic interactive site. Kicking-off a new site adds to the current work load.

Anyway, thank you all for your comments and I'll get to work on trimming the forum.