Breda 65 flaps

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
AgaPablo
Pilota

Breda 65 flaps

Post by AgaPablo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 am

Hello everybody.

I'm conducting some research on the different versions of the Breda Ba65 and identifying changes form K14 to A80 version.

One of the differences I came to find is a shorter flap on the A80; on this version the flap begins where the wheel niche ends allowing for clear movement, but on the K14 the flap begins in the wing root and runs through the wheel niche in a very odd array. Is it a double body flap, can it move somehow through the wheel niche or there is an error in the plans?

My main source is ali d'Italia issue on the Ba65, including Brioschi's plans.

Thank you all.[/img]

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:25 am

I did mention that fact in my article on the Breda A80 built, and what belongs to Cesar belongs to Cesar, Riccardo did send me a plan which helped me a lot. Cheers from France, Jean.

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am

O.K. seen the picture of the plane's (k14) belly and the stack of bombs, now everything is clear!

Thank you D520!

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

K14 vs A80

Post by Rick » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 am

I am not sure if also these other differences are evident:
The propellers are different between the two models: one is right hand the other is left hand and
consequently (I am not sure of the order I mention) one has the right wing longer with respect to the left and the other model has the left wing longer that the right, this to compensate the propeller momentum. Reliable drawinings ar to be consulted
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:22 am

Thank You Riccardo,

The Ali d'Italia book on the Ba65 provides the info about wing lenghts (pgs 41 & 42), the k14 had longer wings than the A80 (10cm); the K14 had the right 10cm longer than the left and the A80 the left 10 cm longer than the right. That means that both planes had the same left wing.

The Issota K14 engine run leftwards and the Fiat A80 rightwards.

Other curious difference is the shape of the frontal panel of the canopy, the k14 is "v" shaped while the A80 is rectangular.

The book provides good info on most of the planes differences, only details on the flap mechanism are missing.

Thank you all again.

D520

Breda K 14

Post by D520 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am

I just come back from the Paris Model show where I saw a box of the Breda 65 K14! The illustration is showing a plane in Iraki markings, aluminium all over with a turret! Ain't that a good new? :D :D Special Hobby 1/48th.

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:48 pm

Well....I quited plastic modelling some years ago, unfortunately I'm allergic to glues for plastic.

On the other hand I found paper modelling, and never missed plastic again!

One is plastic the other is paper, and both can be improved, of course!

I can't wait until Halinski publishes a 1/33 Breda 65 kit, so I will go on designing my own!

Best regards.

Shane
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Aerofile Breda

Post by Shane » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:26 am

My hat is off to you! Anyone who can make a model out of an Aerofile kit has my respect. I built 2 that I purchased in the late 70s thinking they would never be molded by another company.

I could not get past the engine cowling with the ridge straight cowling sides that had to be bent around the cowling to represent the "bumps" on the side. I ended up throwing out the cowling and using a vac-u-form one from another limited edition kit (rare plane?). I also had to use the canopy from the same kit because the aerofile canopy had turned brown with age. I also built the AZ and azure kit. Azure is a rescribed Aerofile kit, with a resin engine/cowling. AZ is by far the best.

Shane
Shane

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 am

Yes, Aerofile's Breda was a nightmare to build as most of the kit was "punched" on a 2mm plastic sheet which required hours of sawing, filing and sanding until you began to see some decent result....but as it was said in Spain: "if you love scabies, they won't itch".

After this kit I tried to convert a supermodel Mc205 to an Mc200, and after hours and hours of the same handwork as above, I got to nowhere...

Now (20+ years after), it seems so much easy as you can find beautifully cast kits of most of the planes you can dare dream of!

Rick

Breda 65 K14?

Post by Rick » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:50 am

Ciao Jean
Is this the box you saw at Paris Model Show? The image refers to the Special Hobby kit visible in the CMK site, but it is an A80 Breda 65; Can you give me more information please?
Mersit
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

D520

Post by D520 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:12 am

Yes Riccardo that's the box I saw but I cannot provide you with further infos as I did not buy the kit, but sorry to have thought that it was a K14 version, as ,obviously it is not . I feel you are excited ! Ciao e a presto, jean; :D :D

Rick

More about K14

Post by Rick » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 am

Ciao Jean
I was excited as from long time I am waiting for a 1/48 K14!
It is a true pity, I have to wait longer!
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta