Camo and markings of the ANR 43-45

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
steveiow
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Camo and markings of the ANR 43-45

Post by steveiow » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:35 pm

I've just bought this book,and I have to agree it's extremely comprehensive.
At first I found the layout a bit strange,but then I used a couple of bookmarks and found my way through it OK.
It's a pity another one was'ent done for the R.A. years,but then as one of the authors has retired,I suppose we won't get one!
Anyway Gentlemen well done,excellent book :P
Steve

Arditi1961
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Arditi1961 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:30 pm

most of the material contained in this book and presented by the author, Fernando D'Amico was acquired from another forum (12'o clock High, german luftwaffe Forum). the author was also, as I've been told, kicked out from an italian historical society for allegedly falsefying or portraying inaccuartly the records of some Italian service men. from what i understand mr damico is a weird person and not a gentleman

dixieflyer
Pilota

Post by dixieflyer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Funny you should bring this book up, I was just looking at it last night on the web with the thought of buying it with some Christmas cash I received. However, my main interest is in the RA. Too bad that there is not a companion volume to go with it, or even a book similar to Erik Pilawski's Soviet Fighter Colors, etc.
I have nothing in my library at all on the RA save for a couple of Squadron in Action titles.

Warren
History is the lie we all agree upon

steveiow
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by steveiow » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:18 am

Arditi1961
I can't say I've heard anything like that before about one of the co-authors.
Where-ever they got their information,there is a lot of it,and perhaps we should be grateful to them for assembling it all in one accessable book.
As I said,I found the layout of the book unusual to start with but after a while it became easier as I got more familiar with it-that's my only gripe :wink:
Steve

JeffZ
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by JeffZ » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Wasn't D'Amico on this forum at one point?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:06 am

Jeff,
Yes indeed Fernando has visited the site (and continues to, I can see his IP :)) and he's referenced material from the history articles (e.g., Steven's BoB article). I've chatted with Fernando several times and he likes the site and what were doing here (I still have his messages). He's also helped me and other posters with questions. I invited him to join the forum but he's had some trouble with posters in the past. But otherwise a fine chap.