Which is the most authentic remaining Macchi C.205 Veltro?

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
Jim Betts
Pilota

Which is the most authentic remaining Macchi C.205 Veltro?

Post by Jim Betts » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:44 pm

There are 3 remaining Veltros, but all 3 are hybrids made from parts of C.202s & C.205s.
MM.91818 (bearing the registration MM.9372), is on display at the Museo della Scienza e della Tecnologia "Leonardo da Vinci" in Milan.
Another two are on display at the Museo storico dell'Aeronautica Militare in Vigna di Valle. MM.9546 is displayed as a MC.205 and MM.92166 is displayed as a MC.202.
Which is the most authentic Veltro?
It sounds as though it comes down to MM.91818 (= MM 9372) in Milan or MM.9546 in Vigna di Valle.
Using information from Wikipedia.
(Jim Betts)

macchi205
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by macchi205 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:53 am

Hello, infos are not so true, I think.

Definitive news can be found on my Macchi C.205 Walkaround book from Squadron Signal, but in few word it can be traced as follows:

1) Preserved in Vigna di Valle there is MM.9546, an ex-C.202 converted during the war.

2) Preserved in Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnica is MM.91818, another C.202 converted in C.205 that was restored in flying condition and flew from 1981 up to 1986, when it was damaged in a taxi accident. It was then traded with Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnica' s other Veltro MM.92166.

3) MM92166 was prepared for export to Egypt but it wasn't delivered and remained in Italy to Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnica. Traded with Aermacchi with MM.91818, was prepared to fly again, but never reached airworthy status. At the moment it is preserved in Aermacchi plant in Venegono. It is a real Veltro, with series III cannon-armed wings although the fixed tailwheel. It also has two allied a/c destroyed and one damaged at its credit.

Hope this helps,
all the best
Maurizio
All the best
Maurizio

Jim Betts
Pilota

Post by Jim Betts » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 am

Hi Maurizio.
This is a very belated grazie for for your helpful reply.
Imediately after your reply, I set about obtaining your book from Vincent, but it arrived just after I left for Italy. I saw MM.9546 at Vigna di Valle, & once I returned home & read your fine book, I realized how much technical detail I had missed while looking at the plane.
There were no other tourists visting Vigna di Valle while I was there, so I get the feeling that the VdV is seriously underestimated.
Cordially, Jim Betts