accurate 3 views and cross-sections Mc202/205

Discuss and review reference material relating to WWII, the Inter-War Period and WWI. Includes book and author reviews
nicknack
Pilota

accurate 3 views and cross-sections Mc202/205

Post by nicknack » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello, my name is Nick and i've just joined this forum in my search for more information on Macchi 202 and Macchi 205

I've had a bit of trouble finding reliable drawings of the Macchi 202. All the drawings I have from varoious sources do not match up with one another.

I've compared drawings in magazines Scale Aviation Modeller (by r.caruna) with ones in an Italian publication(by A.Brioschi) and the crossections differ.

Could anyone help point me to accurate drawings that are actually based on either the factory blueprints or based on measurements taken from existing Museum pieces?

Hope to get an answer Nick

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Brioschi's drawings are pretty accurate, but you may want to drop Riccardo Trotta a note, pm "Rick", he should have the drawings.

nicknack
Pilota

Post by nicknack » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 am

thanks Vince,

I'm hoping someone would be able to confirm the accuracy of the drawings with some form of drawings or plans taken from original factory material.

I have the MC202 pilot and repair manuals but those manuals only show profile drawings and plan drawings but doesnot have good cross-section drawings of the formers for the aircraft. Hope someone here can help me.

nick

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

C205/202 drawings

Post by Rick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 am

I think you can rely on Brioschi drawings; I am in touch with him and I know he could consult original drawings from Aermacchi archives; furthermore, if you consider the 1/48 scale C205 the drawings , you can see that they are a bit longer with respect to the lenght (reported in scale) declared on the manual and the Catalogo Nomenclatore, 8.85 m.
The lenght 8.85 is not correct, as from firm drawings I had the occasion to see (with Castoldi signature) the correct lenght is a bit longer, 8.875 m. if I now remember correctly; Brioschi's drawings include this detail, so , as I told, my opinion is that you can rely on them.
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm

Mr. Trotta ,

What a great asset you are to all of us at Stormo! Thank You !

Vincent :D

nicknack
Pilota

Post by nicknack » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks so much Ricardo, That's just the confirmation I need. ie that the drawings were done with references to original archive material.

however the documents I have show a lenght of 8850mm for the MC 202
but a length of 8845mm for MC205

how do I submit a picture in the forum. As I want to show what I found in the manuals I have

Nick

nicknack
Pilota

Post by nicknack » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 pm

I managed to find away to insert pictures in the FAQ

here's the drawing I am refering to
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6243/tempuh.jpg

also I am very confused with the cross-sections in the manual, which of the two cross-section is correct ?

http://img585.imageshack.us/i/tempe.jpg/

it looks to me as though the second cross-section is just a copy of an older manual drawing which was for the macchi 200 which had a rounder fuselage.

Nick

Rick

C205 Manual Drawings

Post by Rick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Just to highlight the confusion present on the C205 original Manual, confusion that has been tranferred on several pubblicatons, I attach the quoted drawings from the Manual , reproduced in 1/72 scale (so it is declared) on the CMPR Notiziario n° 23 1975; I have used these drawings because the Notiziarios are in my shelf, while the copy of the original Manual is in my cellar and here in Florence Italy, it is about 11 pm, so I am scarcely intentioned to climb in my cellar; I can assure that what I attach is a correct copy, should you need any clarification I shall try to provide remedy.
Let's examine the tables: from the first table the total lenght , as the sum of the parts, results:
6097+2190+590=8870 mm

from the third table the total lenght results:

8250+590= 8840 mm

in the list "Dimensioni principali (principal dimension)" the lenght is declared (Lunghezza) 8.850m

So the discrepancies are evident; as I told in my previous post I had the possibility to examine other drawinga and from them the lenght resulted 8.875 m, as deducible from the 1/48 Brioschi 's drawings in the dedicated volume of Ali e Colori, where, according to me, also the fuselage sections are dependable.
This is all I can provide you; I hope this can help
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta