stuka diorama question

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

stuka diorama question

Post by stefanuccio » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi
I am planning to build a diorama that includes Luftwaffe and R.A. stukas
I like to build an airfield and i would like to know if i must represent this airfield with concrete slabs as a runway or if i can use a more natural texture as for a runway usinf gras,sand,and soil
If i build a grass airfield wouild it be correct for the stukas or do i have to use concrete?
thanks for your advice
stefano

Aeroal
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Airfield for Stuka Diorama.

Post by Aeroal » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 am

Stefanuccio,

You can make your aerodrome for your Stuka to fit whatever scene you wish. Stukas were extremely rugged machines and were often operated from rough unmade strips close behind the front line. This gave the best available quick support to the German army in its blitzkreig warfare, and as such they flew off improvised strips made of just about any material you can think of, grass, desert sand, dirt, snow and ice, etc. In the autumn (fall), when the grass and dirt strips of Russia turned into quagmires of mud, they even took the wheel spats (pants) off to stop the wheels clogging with mud.

So look at photographs of Stukas in action in whichever campaign takes your fancy, and this will show you what type of ground material to use in your diorama. In my opinion, an aeroplane always looks vastly better if it is displayed on an appropriate diorama base, accurately depicting its surroundings. Hav a look at some of Jean's work in the gallery, especially his bombers, for excellent examples of airfield scenery.

Regards,

Aeroal.