Airfix 1/72 Fiat G.50bis

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Craig Sargent
Pilota

Airfix 1/72 Fiat G.50bis

Post by Craig Sargent » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 am

After seeing what Mike Grant was able to do to the venerable old Airfix kit, I have become inspired and dug mine out. What I'd really like to know is the following:

1. What needs correcting to build the aircraft accurately?
2. Are the decals and scheme in the box accurate (can I do that scheme with some updated decals)?

Regards,
Craig.

kippenhan
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

airfix G.50

Post by kippenhan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Craig,
I think the engine cowling is too long and too narrow, it throws the whole look of the plane off. The AML kits aren't cheap, and short run in nature, but I would go with one of them over the Airfix.
Mike

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

G50 Airfix

Post by Rick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 am

In 1981 Club Modellismo Plastico Ravenna (CMPR) which is one of the most experienced and documented in Italy about Regia Aeronautica airplanes issued a Notiziario dedicated to the correction to be performed on this kit; of course the article, that is very long, is in Italian. Let me know if you could be interested, in spite of the difference of the langauge.
Riccardo

r.trotta@postanet.it
Riccardo Trotta

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 am

Ciao Riccardo, please mail me a copy of the article and I'll translate it to English and add it to the "How to" page of Stormo.

Shane
Comandante di Squadriglia

Airfix Fiat G50 update kit

Post by Shane » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Cutting Edge made a new engine cowling and cockpit for the Airfix kit. The conversion kit was numbered CEC72007 in their line. I have seen it come up on ebay once since Cutting Edge went under.

Shane
Shane

Rick

G50 Notiziario

Post by Rick » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 am

Ciao Vince
Let me have a bit of time, I think I shall send you it in the next days
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am

Thank you Riccardo.

Joseph

Airfix G.50

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Now that was a blast-from-the-past kit. I made the Airfix G.50 along with that Airfix SM.79. I had to utilize my spare parts box to detail both kits out but the end products were not half bad. I also made the Airfix Aichi Type 99 "Val" and their Ki-46 "Dinah". Remember the Tauro Model Company kits? Those were the days when Regia Aeronautica kits were hard to come by. Speaking of the G.50, didn't Hasegawa make one of those in 1/48 scale?

Ciao Joseph

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Joseph,
Hasegawa reboxed the old Sector kit, this was a good little kit and very easy to build and was sufficently accurate. I built one and it was allot of fun to do. However Mr.Kit (who won't sell me (or anyone else for that matter) any kits to list on Stormo :) ) issued an excellent G.50 as a short run. This kit is probably the best and most accurate kit of the G.50 to date.

Joseph

Thanks

Post by Joseph » Mon May 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks Vince

I'm hoping that Hasegawa will start producing 1/32 scale Italian WW-2 aircraft since they seem to be going to the larger scale kits. I pre-ordered a long-waited for 1/32 scale Mitsubishi J2M Raiden from them on Hobby Link Japan. Its supposed to be here sometime in June.

Joseph

scapleplastic

Post by scapleplastic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 pm

hello! once you see what you need to do to correct the airfix kit you will want the aml kits. if you really are not too fussy get an old hasegawa zero kit and modify one of the engine cowls. it'll look good enough and when i was 15 one i built won the blue in it's class at ipms vancouver. i still have its broken remains. i wonder about the dark green over light green scheme i used. never seen any color pictures of this.