Italian WW-2 Battleships

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Joseph
Comandante di Squadriglia

Italian WW-2 Battleships

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Anybody got any info on the Trumpeter 1/350 scale Italian Battleship: Roma? This should be a decent kit, especially since there is so little done concerning WW-2 Italian naval vessels. At first glance, the Roma looks like an Iowa-class battleship and the USS Alabama. Very streamline design for a battleship.

Joseph

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:02 pm

This kit will certainly be a treat and its about time someone made this kit available. I think the kit will be available sometime during the summer. The design of the Iowa class battleships were supposedly influenced by the Littorio (Roma) class battleships, hence the similarties. The Italian ships were an excellent and interesting design, for instance the damage that stopped the Bismarck would have had no effect on the Italian battelships since the ships could be steered using only the screws. None of these ship were sunk in combat with the British although the Germans sunk the Roma using a radio guided bomb from a Do.217J.

Joseph

The Roma

Post by Joseph » Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Yes, this will be a great ship model indeed.
Hopefully there will be some decent after market detail parts for it since Trumpter's plastic they use to inject their molds with tends to be fragile, especially the smaller parts. An unpleasant experience I learned when I built the Trumpeter 1/350 scale Kuznetsov.

Joseph