SM-81 Pipistrello

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
gera
Pilota

SM-81 Pipistrello

Post by gera » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi everyone..........

This is my first time here. I m from Panama and have been modeling for over 45 years. I have during that time, started around 1953, build every kind of model there has been... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but my love is making solid wood, Mahogany, scale model airplanes.
This method, to say the least, is practically "dead" to the detriment of all modelers since its different and not hard...the beauty of it is that its very cheap and you can do any aircraft you like............

I am half Italian so most of my planes are Italian!!!! :P
Gera

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:35 pm

Welcome Gera and thank you for your post. That's wonderful work you're doing with wood and I agree, we certainly don't see enough of this kind of modeling. I'm curious to know what you used to build the engines from.

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

SM81 in Mahogany Wood

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:10 pm

Hello Gera,
Wow! Great work. Its nice to see an airplane built other than plastic.
Excellent paint job as well.
For next project, have you thought of perhaps, a Piaggio P108B?
Vincent.

gera
Pilota

Post by gera » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Guys.............

Thank you for your kind words. I love modelling and Solid wood is my preferite material.
Vince I use all kind of materials like, bamboo for struts and landing gear, paper tubes for exhausts and general tubing, card for panels etc, wire of different thikness etcccc........for my engines I have always used "Plaster or Paris" (see photo) a 1/4 pound lasts for about 5 years :shock: and its eay to mold, besides you get perfect replicas. My molds are mainly school plasticine but I sometimes use resin. My model´s wheels are also of plaster.
I am retiring this year and will promote this tipe of modelling a little bit more since it´s a shame that after so many years it came to a "stand still". I am sure many modelers would give it a try with some encouragement since it´s not hard at all. Hope to finish a little "How to" this year.................

Vincent.........the Piaggio P108B has crossed my mind several times but with so many projects have not really stuck my teeth into it...maybe further on I now have a Ca-133, Ca-136 and a SM-71 in the "tavolo" which will take me a few more months.....and yes, and old B-18 Bolo.

See you Gentlemen.
Gera

Janus
Pilota

Re: SM-81 Pipistrello

Post by Janus » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 am

In the background of the last illustration one can see an excellent 3 view drawing of the Pipistrello. Where may one find a similar high quality 3 view of the Caproni Ca. 133?
Regards from Cape Town
Janus

Janus
Pilota

Post by Janus » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:20 am

Actually, when I looked again, it is a drawing of the Caproni
Janus

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Janus wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 am
In the background of the last illustration one can see an excellent 3 view drawing of the Pipistrello. Where may one find a similar high quality 3 view of the Caproni Ca. 133?
Regards from Cape Town
Janus
There's some very good line drawings of the Ca.133 in Ali D'Italia #20. Try looking through ebay for a copy of the book or email La Bancarella in Torino (the publishers).

https://www.bancaero.it

davenport49
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by davenport49 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Gera;

Amazing work! I've never known anyone working in solid wood. I would love to see more of your work. And I hope you ways to promote it; a "how to" book would be interesitng to see.