Cockpits

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Cockpits

Post by Vincent Fiore » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 am

I would like to get the thoughts of my modeling friends. I just spent about twenty hours super-detailing the cockpit of my 1/32 scale Reggiane Re 2005. When I dropped it into position you can hardly see any of the details. Once the canopy is in place you will be able to see even less. What is your opinion about spending so much time on things like this? I feel like I wasted a lot of time.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cockpits

Post by Editor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am

Definitely not wasted effort. Firstly you build-up experience as well as improving your model building skills each time you do one. I would leave the canopy in the open position or don't glue the canopy in place - so that it can be removed and viewed. Post some photos if you can.

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Aircraft Interior Detailing In General

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Kits including interior detailing parts I'll paint & glue in, number of models I'd fabricated parts for including seat straps, painted/cut/glued-in Magic Mending Tape works OK, pleasing results mostly. I've even made a few models with interior detail that can't be seen at all though gave up on that as when was doing so had dozens of kits left to build, didn't want to take up time getting to them, old age & ability to continue build also playing a part here. I build only 1/72 scale models so there aren't many "screaming" for interior detailing, anybody building larger scale models certainly should add interior detail whenever possible.

D520

Post by D520 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:46 am

Time you spend in unseen details are times you do not feed your anxieties. It is a very important time as you drive your mind in to a peaceful motion that gives you satisfaction. And that's live matter! Cheers.

RetiredInKalifornia

Worth The Effort...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:39 am

Vincent Fiore wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 am
I would like to get the thoughts of my modeling friends. I just spent about twenty hours super-detailing the cockpit of my 1/32 scale Reggiane Re 2005. When I dropped it into position you can hardly see any of the details. Once the canopy is in place you will be able to see even less. What is your opinion about spending so much time on things like this? I feel like I wasted a lot of time.
At that scale certainly is even if y'all can't see anything, "doing it" by definition makes it so, improves building skills as well. Me working in 1/72 scale whatever detail shows usually appears amorphic, kit provides it will put it in, more often than not as in the case of my last-ever FROG Macchi C.202 models scratch-built lots of super-detailing. In 2021 will build the 1/72nd Heller Amiot 143, one of the worst model kits ever made insofar as having no interior detail, modeler years ago scratched it in, will try doing same with my build.
Last edited by RetiredInKalifornia on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 am

D520 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:46 am
Time you spend in unseen details are times you do not feed your anxieties. It is a very important time as you drive your mind in to a peaceful motion that gives you satisfaction. And that's live matter! Cheers.
Said like a Master :clap: :thumbup: