Mussolini's S.81

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Mussolini's S.81

Post by Vincent Fiore » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:04 am

I would like to make a model of Mussolini's Sm 81. I know that it was painted all white and had the tail painted in red white and green. Does anyone have any pictures showing any other markings? I will be thanking for any information you may share with me.

Thank you,

Vincent

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mussolini's S.81

Post by Editor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Good topic! Here you go Vince, see the last two photos below. The plane MM.20326 has a tartaruga/turtle emblem (in reference to the planes slow speed) next to the fuselage door. I'm surprised there isn't a profile of this plane! The plane is equipped with Alfas and what looks like a C2 variant camo scheme. Ref. ADI #29. Send in some photos of the completed model.

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Thank you, Vince,

I plan to paint it all white as that is how it was painted before the war. I will see if Mika from Artic Decals can make me the decals of the turtle and the decal of the Fascs just to the right of the door.

I will thank you again for the pictures, and I will send you a picture of the completed model if I can get the decals. I will be sending some pictures of the 1/32 Fiat g 55 I have almost completed.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:19 pm

The photo I provided is prewar, I'm not sure if Mussolini's S.81 was in an all white scheme. Anyway, the color you want for an all white livery is:

Bianco Avorio 5 - Ivory White 5 - 33613

Here's Richard's build:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArti ... RM_1a.html

He used Humbrol 148 Matt Radome Tan.

If you have photos of Mussolini's S.81 in Bianco Avorio 5 let me know.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Vince, below is the command marking for Mussolini's S.81 (next to the tartaruga) - see the lower left corner of the scan below - the marking corresponds to Primo Ministro, Capo di Governo (translation: Prime Minister, Head of Government). Most people don't know that Mussolini was the Prime Minister of Italy. The King was Head of State. In the US, the President is both the Head of State and Head of Government. In theory, during WWII, the Armed Forces of Italy were loyal to the King and therein lay one of the problems Mussolini had with wagging any kind of war - he needed the King's ok. To circumvent this hurdle in Germany, Hitler had the German Armed Forces swear an oath of loyalty to him.

Vincent Fiore

Post by Vincent Fiore » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:11 am

Vince,

Thank you very much for the added information. I received the kit in the mail yesterday. I have a kit to finish, then I will start the conversion. The biggest change will be to eliminate the small windows and creat the three large windows lower down the fuselage located just to the left of center wing. It will take some planing. I hope I can execute it. Creating the bevel around the windows will be challenging.

Let me again thank you very much for all the help you have given me.

Best Regards,

Vincent