Chinese Manufactured Kits : Boycott

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Chinese Manufactured Kits : Boycott

Post by Vincent Fiore » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 am

In view of the wold situation with China, I would like to put this idea forward. We, modelers, should stop buying all models produced in China, and also stop buying all models that the molds are made there. Also, we modelers should inform companies that have their molds made in North Korea, That we will refrain from buying such models. I have never bought anything from China that I could buy from another source. I hope I have not offended anyone but the good of the free world is more important than a few models.

If anyone has the knowledge and the ability to start a movement to organize a boycott, please respond. I have no expertise in an endeavor such as this, to my regret.

vf

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Yes...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 am

Vincent Fiore wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:44 am
In view of the wold situation with China, I would like to put this idea forward. We, modelers, should stop buying all models produced in China, and also stop buying all models that the molds are made there. Also, we modelers should inform companies that have their molds made in North Korea, That we will refrain from buying such models. I have never bought anything from China that I could buy from another source. I hope I have not offended anyone but the good of the free world is more important than a few models.

If anyone has the knowledge and the ability to start a movement to organize a boycott, please respond. I have no expertise in an endeavor such as this, to my regret.

vf
...Near everything I've purchased since 2006 in way of scale model airplane kits isn't Chinese manufactured but near have no choice when it comes to hobby supplies artist brushes in particular, they've got the market cornered in this department! There's also Hong Kong-manufactured items, they're desperately fighting to save what's left of their British colonial legal system, haven't see as many marked goods from them sold street retail here lately. I'd thought about buying Dragon Models Limited (DML Hong Kong) Heinkel 219 kits but don't have room for them, three 1960s Brit & USA made 219s are all I'd wanted to build anyway. Will check before buying any more brushes et. al. hobby supplies where manufactured, except for one used for itsy-bitsy detail painting likely have enough to get me though building all models in stock by 2022.

Scale modeling websites I've read posts on generally don't want political discussions, FineScale Modeler choked me after re-posting another member's political discussion so quit them forthwith to post here on STORMO, others run by businesses don't want controversy either, best recourse for USA modelers is to e-mail President Donald John Trump & sympathetic US Congressional Members to promote domestic hobby industries including scale modeling ones. BTW, USA government trade policy during 1950s & 1960s, repealed during early 1970s, discouraged importing foreign scale models & hobby supplies, many ala Airfix, FROG, Hasegawa, Heller, Marusan et. al. makers set up U.S. corporations ala Air Lines, Airfix Of America, Buzco-Heller, UPC et. al. either to domestically manufacture them or market them via, can't go back to that trade thinking so best every nation that can cultivate their own hobby industries - no?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chinese Manufactured Kits : Boycott

Post by Editor » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 pm

I think most people have been boycotting Chinese goods for some time, but after Covid-19 I think people will be more diligent about checking where a product is manufactured. I know people here in Calgary who won’t eat at Chinese restaurants, not because they dislike the people there but because at least here in Calgary there are Chinese restaurants that keep getting shut down for health/sanitary reasons, only to reopen with the same people running the place under a different name. Because this matter isn’t criminal (or can’t be proven that food poisoning was intentional) the city just keeps chasing these people around year after year shutting down these restaurants. On a wider matter, I remember going through engineering at the UofT, about 20% of the class got cut after the first and second years. We had allot of Chinese students in our engineering department and it seemed none of them got cut. It wasn’t till second year that we discovered that they had answers to exams that spanned many years and that many of these questions were repeated over the years. They also worked in groups unlike us Canadian kids who worked for the most part individually. It was a form of cheating if not. They learn this behavior early on and it explains in part why they have trouble innovating. Most if not all these Chinese students returned to China after their education was complete in Canada. I look back now at all those Canadian kids you were robbed of a career in engineering, the loss of confidence, it affected their lives I’m sure. I finished 3rd overall in my class if anyone is wondering.

So yes I'm all in on a boycott, your post is a first step. And beginning today any new products originating or manufactured in China will not be sold here.

Vincent Fiore

Re: Chinese Manufactured Kits : Boycott

Post by Vincent Fiore » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:29 pm

Vince, When I was a young boy and playing football in high school one of my coaches' full-time job was a health inspector of restaurants. In conversation with him one day he told me."Vin never eat in a Chinese restaurant they are very dirty." I never did. One teacher told me a word to the wise is sufficient.