Airbrushes, Paint, and smoke rings

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Edie1971
Comandante di Squadriglia

Airbrushes, Paint, and smoke rings

Post by Edie1971 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 am

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, but I was curious what the experts here use for smoke rings and mottling like in the gray scheme ANR planes. I prefer to use Mr. Hobby Aqueous paints, and what do you guys use for thinner? The alcohol based thinner from them, or the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner? I find Aqueous to be the best paint to do small spraying with for cammo. Is there another acrylic, or even solvent paint you guys prefer? Also what are you all using for airbrushes? I just updated my set with Mr. Hobby brushes, ranging from PS-770 up to the PS-290. I'm looking forward to cranking out some RA and ANR 1/48 scale planes the next year or so after a long hiatus... :esmile:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Airbrushes, Paint, and smoke rings

Post by Editor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 pm

To do the kind of work (mottles and smoke rings) you find in the Gallery you need a good air brush with a small diameter needle. Jean used a Harder & Steenbeck with a 0.15mm needle for his Ca.310/311/311M builds together with Gunze paints. Richard uses a Testors Aztek with enamels. I have a Custom Micron CM-C+ that I used for my CR.32. My favorite paint was Polly Scale paints (now Testors acrylics). I used a Badger 150 for my C.205V (PS mottles) and G.50 (lacquer mottles). The Badger Sotar is a good affordable airbrush - look up some reviews. Jean Barby uses Gunze acrylics and Richard uses Humbrol enamels. I've used lacquers (high-surface tension with little over spray). Some people are using inks (I think this is a interesting alternative for smoke rings).

Some tips, draw smoke rings with a pencil first. You'll find drawing smoke rings is as hard as it is to spray - practice on paper first. Then paint each smoke ring individually. Don't try to paint everything at once, go slow and clean the tip of your needle regularly. Practice allot and on curved surfaces. Spraying mottles and smoke rings on a flat surface is different than on a 3 dimensional surface.

Hope this helps.

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Vince Covered It...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Editor wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 pm
To do the kind of work (mottles and smoke rings) you find in the Gallery you need a good air brush with a small diameter needle. Jean used a Harder & Steenbeck with a 0.15mm needle for his Ca.310/311/311M builds together with Gunze paints. Richard uses a Testors Aztek with enamels. I have a Custom Micron CM-C+ that I used for my CR.32. My favorite paint was Polly Scale paints (now Testors acrylics). I used a Badger 150 for my C.205V (PS mottles) and G.50 (lacquer mottles). The Badger Sotar is a good affordable airbrush - look up some reviews. Jean Barby uses Gunze acrylics and Richard uses Humbrol enamels. I've used lacquers (high-surface tension with little over spray). Some people are using inks (I think this is a interesting alternative for smoke rings).

Some tips, draw smoke rings with a pencil first. You'll find drawing smoke rings is as hard as it is to spray - practice on paper first. Then paint each smoke ring individually. Don't try to paint everything at once, go slow and clean the tip of your needle regularly. Practice allot and on curved surfaces. Spraying mottles and smoke rings on a flat surface is different than on a 3 dimensional surface.

Hope this helps.
...Also use Testors & Model Master enamels, Poly Scale acrylics for weathering. Aztek brushes work well for me despite criticisms particularly with respect to plastic nozzles cracking & wearing out faster than metal ones, upside is easy cleaning that along with "drip by drip" spray painting ala dunking needle/spring assemblies in the paint bottle, can't tell y'all how wonderful that's been compared to the Badgers, i.e. tips ruined by the dozen, inordinate time spent cleaning them after spraying sessions.

I've always sprayed on anelli freehand, dozen-plus models since 1980 at least, comes with having an "artist's eye" :biggrin: biggest problem is "spitting", Humbrol enamel greens finicky no end, acrylics should work better for y'all.

Edie1971

Post by Edie1971 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 am

I'm going to use my new Mr. Hobby Ps-770 with the .18 needle. I was reading that Mr. Hobby Aqueous runs much better for detail using their solvent Mr. Color Levelling thinner. I'll try that and see how it goes! I also have lots of Polly Scale paints left, but I was under the impression they did not spray well enough for that kind of work? Hmm...let me see...

Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Vincent Fiore » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:59 am

M R P paint works the best for this kind of job.

RetiredInKalifornia

Poly Scale Paint...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Edie1971 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 am
I'm going to use my new Mr. Hobby Ps-770 with the .18 needle. I was reading that Mr. Hobby Aqueous runs much better for detail using their solvent Mr. Color Levelling thinner. I'll try that and see how it goes! I also have lots of Polly Scale paints left, but I was under the impression they did not spray well enough for that kind of work? Hmm...let me see...
...Will do the job but I've only use them for weathering, did paint number of models with them in 1980s, tricky spraying over smooth plastic for sure!

Edie1971

Post by Edie1971 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:00 am

Been looking at the gallery again getting inspiration. One more question....do you guys freehand your demarcation lines or do you use a masking material like blu-tac or tape? Sometimes I feel Italian planes had a hard demarcation line on paint schemes pre-75/75/76 paint jobs...

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:48 am

On leading edges (the lip) of G.55s, C.202/205V and Bf.109s the demarcation line underneath the wing could be a hard edge (mask, use low tack tape such as Tamiya yellow masking tape or you'll get lift) or a soft edge (use newspaper and tape underneath).

dogsbody

Post by dogsbody » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:13 pm

If I ever get around to doing one of my 1/72 kits, I'll be using these Mike Grant decals.

Chris
" What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at? "

davenport49

Post by davenport49 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:33 am

You're pretty lucky, Chris, since Mike can't produce those anymore. Eduard has decent decals now, though i gave away my 1/48th and used MRP Verde Olive Scuro (#303) straight from the bottle.

dznr
Pilota

Post by dznr » Mon May 09, 2022 4:51 pm

WIP, waiting to finish decal application. 1/48 Hasegawa
IMG_1011-2.jpg
IMG_1011-2.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
IMG_1011-2.jpg
IMG_1011-2.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

davenport49

Post by davenport49 » Tue May 10, 2022 6:53 am

Looking really great!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue May 10, 2022 10:22 am

Great job so far. I look forward to seeing the completed model.

dznr
Pilota

Post by dznr » Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 am

Thanks, it's taking longer than I had hoped, but I'll get there!

MDriskill
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by MDriskill » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:50 pm

A friend of mine did an Italeri 1/72 C.202 with the Eduard "smoke ring" decals. It looks good - I was especially impressed that the rings are printed with a slightly feathered edge, to mimic the sprayed application on the actual aircraft.