Blue color for CR.42 95a Sq. codes (BoB)

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Blue color for CR.42 95a Sq. codes (BoB)

Post by D520 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 am

hello everyone. I am working on another Falco and, as I would like to represent a plane of the CEI during the battle of Britain, I am wondering about the now blue color of the codes of the 95° Squadriglia and more particularly the plane of Magg. Vosilla. The recent restauration of the Falco in Duxford shows those blue numbers. Should we consider any yellow ones wrong? Italeri has recently produced a model with the blue decals, but as I intend to paint mine I do not need to buy it. It seems also that the planes send to Belgium had Silver dope undersides and struts, Stefano could you confirm that too? Last thing, the marrone used is not the MM2, but the marrone mimetico close to UK Dark earth, any clue? thanks in advance and best regards.

Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Re: Blue color for CR.42 95a Sq. codes (BoB)

Post by Stefano » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:26 am

Ciao Jean,
Indeed the camo of CR.42 isn't a simple matter. After CMPR book, dated 1977, the common believing is that for all examples until 1941-42 camo was VM3 and MM2 spots over GM3, with GM undersides. This came by the analysis of a factory wood model and indeed it's confirmed by some color photos. But this refers to a model made by late 1941. Things were different before.
Dénes Bernad, in a book on Hungarian fighters camo, discovered a document which stated that paints for aircraft of I and II serie, i.e. until MM 5067, were officially called VERDE, CASTANO, AVANA and ALLUMINIATA. Castano in Italian is a chestnut brown, and Avana is the light brown of Havana cigars; the latter could be roughly matched to GM3, but MM2 is not like a chestnut. Aluminium paint is difficult to see, as it appears almost white, but you can better see its typical shine in updown examples. Aluminium was the standard for undersides - also at least for G.50s and S.79s - until March-April 1941, when a new order stated the use of light gray.
It's very likely that for some batches of 42s built during winter 1939-40 the background color was replaced by a light green, namely FS 24272, called sage green (see Vitocharts chips 13 and 15) and that recently was added to the CMPR palette with the name Verde Mimetico 4. These examples had a rather dark appearance.
On the Channel front, there were also 42s of III-V serie, which had at least two more patterns and different paints, but if you're interested to Vosilla's mount (MM 4462) I think it's enough, for now. Take in mind it was officially built in December 1939, with a possible delay of 6 months, so it could have worn sage green background. Check graytone.
Blue codes, as well as 'silver' undersides, were witnessed by British Crash Reports though in two aircraft of III and V serie. Yellow was a post-war fake, as in the early artworks of the 18 gruppo shield and Macchi's MMs in old profiles.
Best regards
Stefano

D520

Re: Blue color for CR.42 95a Sq. codes (BoB)

Post by D520 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:31 am

Grazie Mille caro Stefano. Baci.