Savoia Marchetti S 65

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
Vincent Fiore
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Savoia Marchetti S 65

Post by Vincent Fiore » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:23 am

I am receiving a Savioa Marchetti S 65 soon. I have researched the color scheme to paint it. All the built-up models have it red with most of the wing tops red and copper to represent the cooling radiators. However, all of the pictures I can find of the subject have the wing tops all in red. Can someone enlighten me as to the actual colors used? Thank you for all the information I may receive.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Savoia Marchetti S 65

Post by Editor » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:28 pm

This is a great subject, the plane was a one-off and failed to take part in the 1929 Schneider Trophy race because of engine trouble but had the potential to win it with an estimated top speed of 400 mph. Tommaso Dal Molin would lose his life in this plane the following year during testing.

Like the Macchi racers the S.65 had flat tubular water radiators faired into the wings, the radiators themselves were made of bronze. You can approximate the color of the radiators with gold and silver or use bronze - Testors has a bronze you can thin down and spray.

Here's a photo of the S.65 and you can see how much of the wing area was occupied by the radiators, the shiny/gloss paint is red and quiet over-exposed in this photo. In keeping with Savoia-Marchetti's design philosophy of a flying wing its not hard to imagine that this (unlucky) plane would have probably met its design speed.

Vincent Fiore

Re: Savoia Marchetti S 65

Post by Vincent Fiore » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:50 am

Vince, thank you very much for this information. My kit has been in customs for almost three weeks. I should be getting it in about another ten days. The wheels of government turn very slowly here.