Salve tutti! and of course a Macchi 202 question

Post tips n' tricks, construction and detailing techniques, airbrushing techniques, decals, references and tools
davenport49
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Re: Salve tutti! and of course a Macchi 202 question

Post by davenport49 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:07 am

Wow! Really impressive. Beautiful work. :thumbup:

MDriskill
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by MDriskill » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:05 am

Wow, what a superb model! That's the best representation of the difficult "poached egg" camo I've ever seen.

MDriskill
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by MDriskill » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:14 am

The oft-reproduced manual drawings do show two versions of the C.202's wing, i.e. both with and without the gun bay built-in.

My hunch is that the earliest a/c with "poached egg" or solid green camo, did not have the gun bay, and one can back that up with photos that do not appear to show the small cover plate over the muzzle opening indicating an un-used bay.

But that's just my opinion. it would be nice to have more solid data in general, about when the various changes to the Folgore were first seen.
IMG_1683.jpeg
IMG_1683.jpeg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
IMG_1683.jpeg
IMG_1683.jpeg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 1091 times

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Didn't Include Wing Guns Either

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:42 pm

MDriskill wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:14 am
The oft-reproduced manual drawings do show two versions of the C.202's wing, i.e. both with and without the gun bay built-in.

My hunch is that the earliest a/c with "poached egg" or solid green camo, did not have the gun bay, and one can back that up with photos that do not appear to show the small cover plate over the muzzle opening indicating an un-used bay.

But that's just my opinion. it would be nice to have more solid data in general, about when the various changes to the Folgore were first seen.
These FROG & Revell kit builds are in "poached egg"; C.200 c.2013, C.202s together c.2016. The "brew mix" Bruno Mimetico is way off on the Folgores no thanks my adding too much red well as airbrushing too much of it over the Giallo Mimetico 4 "egg whites". Unwilling to invest lotta time building them skimped a good deal on super detailing, including drilling holes for the C.202 wing guns:

My final "What-If" four nose mounted machine gun C.202 FROG builds when "half whole-hog" super detailing with whatever I could scratch build from sheet plastic & resin spare parts, alas should had done same for a "real" C.202 FROG build but went "full whole-hog" super detailing the 79 Squadriglia Hasegawa build with several aftermarket resin & brass parts in April 2020: