Retired In Kalifornia's Italian Aircraft Model Builds In Progress Photos

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IPMS-Silverwings Sacramento Contest Update...

Post by Editor » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:20 pm

RetiredInKalifornia wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:04 pm
Editor wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 pm
...other than the Cunarmodel Macchi C.207 don't think I'll be building any more Italian silverbirds this year; used metalizer-like products before, every casting goof, puttied seam line, uneven anything pops-out, spraying with enamels does wonders hiding them.

Now as I write my Choroszy Modelbud Breda 28 builds are at the annual IPMS-Silverwings model contest in Sacramento, decided at last minute to enter them. There were nine all-scale biplane entries, including my two Bredas, when I'd left 67 minutes ago, watching folks there for about a half-hour most eyes gravitating on a large-scale Albatros D.III or D.V build, including the Silverwings show manager's, not at all a good sign :frown: tough competing with WW.I biplanes whatever scale particularly German :evil:

IPMS-Silverwings judging is "closed door" unlike the IPMS-Fresno contest had entered my CANT Z.504 floatplane in on August 25, 2018, can't slink out with my Bredas before judging's over so must leave in 2-1/2 hours for the judging announcements, fast as I can spirit my builds outta the contest hall.

Surprisingly there weren't that many 1/72 scale single engine monoplane entries, usual USAAF & RAF subjects though strangely no Luftwaffe other than two Stukas, should had entered one of my Italians!
yes you need to be careful to have an even surface when using metalizers, use Mr.Surfacer 1000, a couple of applications will even the surface of anything - see my RF-84F - Paint section.

I haven't entered a competition in years, show and competitions are always a great time to see friends and the work others are doing.
As anticipated didn't win anything almost certainly because one EZ Line "wing bracing wire" broke off on EACH model :twisted: :!: :wtf: :!: :twisted:

I don't know if that happened whilst in the show room or whist transporting it there, 100% certain they WERE on when I'd put them in the display cases caused I'd checked them, forgot to do so AFTER I'd arrived at the show hall :oops: :oops: :oops:

Two of three category winners as expected were large-scale biplanes, not the Albatross as I'd expected but a 1/48th "Red Barron" Fokker Dr.I & Spanish Henschel 123 coming in 1st & 3rd Place, true looper for me was a super-detailed frankly over-weathered IMHO not that well airbrushed nor correct Mimetico color-toned Pavla FIAT CR.42 in Corpo Aero Italiano livery similar to this well-known aircraft shot down in the U.K. following the Battle of Britain coming in second:

This absolutely IS the greatest What-Damnit-If moment in my near 60-year on-off again modeling history, had the danged EZ Line threads broke off would I'd placed even 3rd :?: :?: :?: Whole year will have to pass on deciding whether to enter any more of my models in an IPMS-Silverwings contest, IPMS-Fresno's is in August, 2018's was awful for me so likely will pass on going to it.
Broken bracing wire will automatically disqualify you. I judged some of the shows when Rick Chin was around, the shows were large attracting many submissions from out of town and super detailed entries were always (and should be) in a separate category. I could only guess the Silverwings show isn't that large so they combine categories. It's unfair to judge an OOB entry with a super detailed one, there's no chance for the OOB submission.

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Yes Indeed...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Editor wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:20 pm
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:04 pm
Editor wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm

yes you need to be careful to have an even surface when using metalizers, use Mr.Surfacer 1000, a couple of applications will even the surface of anything - see my RF-84F - Paint section.

I haven't entered a competition in years, show and competitions are always a great time to see friends and the work others are doing.
As anticipated didn't win anything almost certainly because one EZ Line "wing bracing wire" broke off on EACH model :twisted: :!: :wtf: :!: :twisted:

I don't know if that happened whilst in the show room or whist transporting it there, 100% certain they WERE on when I'd put them in the display cases caused I'd checked them, forgot to do so AFTER I'd arrived at the show hall :oops: :oops: :oops:

Two of three category winners as expected were large-scale biplanes, not the Albatross as I'd expected but a 1/48th "Red Barron" Fokker Dr.I & Spanish Henschel 123 coming in 1st & 3rd Place, true looper for me was a super-detailed frankly over-weathered IMHO not that well airbrushed nor correct Mimetico color-toned Pavla FIAT CR.42 in Corpo Aero Italiano livery similar to this well-known aircraft shot down in the U.K. following the Battle of Britain coming in second:

This absolutely IS the greatest What-Damnit-If moment in my near 60-year on-off again modeling history, had the danged EZ Line threads not broke off would I'd placed even 3rd :?: :?: :?: Whole year will have to pass on deciding whether to enter any more of my models in an IPMS-Silverwings contest, IPMS-Fresno's is in August, 2018's was awful for me so likely will pass on going to it.
Broken bracing wire will automatically disqualify you. I judged some of the shows when Rick Chin was around, the shows were large attracting many submissions from out of town and super detailed entries were always (and should be) in a separate category. I could only guess the Silverwings show isn't that large so they combine categories. It's unfair to judge an OOB entry with a super detailed one, there's no chance for the OOB submission.
...would' been nice if they'd left upside down note slid underneath models if that's why were disqualified. IPMS-Silverwings show was large as 2018 IPMS-Fresno show, i.e. 100-125 total category entries, 1990s shows were lot larger though there were just 10 1/72 scale multi-prop military monoplane entries for the February 1992 Silverwings show - last one I'd attend till today's - half of them mine! There were just two Junior Modeler Category entries, two for paper models, nothing in 1/24 scale aircraft, loads in civilian autos, military vehicles & jets as you'd expect, good number dioramas & sci-fi/fantasy. Silverwings DOES have OOB though must provide kit instructions; if decals are excluded leaves wormhole for me to enter those 1963-66 Airfix of America Bf-110 & Ju-87 kits wanna build next year as part of my Battle of Britain group in next year's contest. Oh, can't forget my vacuforms, wonder if the BroPlan SM.95 would be a head-turner?
Last edited by RetiredInKalifornia on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retired In Kalifornia's Aircraft Model Builds In Progress Photos

Post by Editor » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm

You have a ton of head-turners: your G.12, G.50, CR.42DB, P.108A/T/B, BR.20s, SM.81s, RS.14, FL.3, CANT Z.1007, SM.79s - any of those kits should win. You should know who the judges are too, they do vote for people they know - you'd be surprised how rigged some of these contests are.

RetiredInKalifornia

Certainly DO Know That...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am

Editor wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm
You have a ton of head-turners: your G.12, G.50, CR.42DB, P.108A/T/B, BR.20s, SM.81s, RS.14, FL.3, CANT Z.1007, SM.79s - any of those kits should win. You should know who the judges are too, they do vote for people they know - you'd be surprised how rigged some of these contests are.
...Plus ain't an active member of any modeling club, was IPMS #15018 but let it expire after I'd quit modeling for second time in December 1992. The IPMS Silverwings leaders near to a person are same ones who'd judged my entries 28-plus years ago, rightly super-experts in model construction judging but doubt any of them tangled with as many nasty to build resins as I over last 14 years especially those made by LF Models, good people for sure though some of their offerings truly best left to Master Modelers I barely an apprentice in the "aging junior" category :!:

Work commences tomorrow on the Cunarmodel Macchi C.207, last all-resin model will be building till April thank God :crazy:

Oh, and a P.S. regarding IPMS contest judging; around 7:00 p.m. USA Pacific February 16, 2020 read first page of posts on "The PR Problem" discussion thread on the IPMS-USA Forums website regarding IPMS judging being obsessed with model building perfection, proverbial "rivet counting" as succinctly put by some non-IPMS members namely figure painters. The discussions quickly digressed into windy arguments amongst those IPMS national-level judges posting whether IPMS judging was "fair" or maybe to too tough and just as quickly blaming local chapter judging as being inconsistent. I didn't have patience reading anymore postings beyond the first page the topic no doubt having been endlessly recycled since the forum was established.

The IPMS-Silverwings Sacramento chapter established in 1971 has many original members still officiating it, good enough for IPMS to host the 1986 National Convention in Sacramento which I'd attended well as entering two admittedly poorly built 1/72 scale SUPERMODEL FIAT G.55 models amongst the 50 or so entries in the 1/72 scale single-engine category compared to just nine at the annual chapter show I'd attended on February 15, 2020, the chapter's judging indeed is "fair" though again would had been nice for the Head Judge leaving me a check-off form why my Breda 28s didn't past muster! My guess is that doing so meant 99% of entries getting them also immediately busting the chapter's paper goods budget well as judges getting writer's cramp - seriously! - if the IPMS National folks considered some way - any good way - informing contestants like me why their works of art didn't past judging muster I'd not be as so distraught never mind fearful of ever attending another model meet again - well maybe not this year again!
Last edited by RetiredInKalifornia on Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

RetiredInKalifornia

Cunarmodel Macchi C.207 Construction Now Underway

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:42 pm

See Group II: SEM Model Macchi C.205N-1 & N-2, Cunarmodel Macchi C.207, RS Models Reggine Re.2007 Resins Builds In Progress post above for details.

RetiredInKalifornia

BroPlan CANT Z.506C Vacuform Conversion Kit Has Arrived...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm
Aviation Megastore has 1/72 scale BroPlan MS-44 CANT Z.506C Vacuform Conversion Kits with injected plastic & etched brass detail parts for sale, promptly purchased one for U.S. $54.

This likely is the same advertised offering I'd seen in 2019 but passed on buying given mailing a kit to me was 1-1/2 times the kit cost, desperation since took over trying to obtain anybody's 1/72 Z.506C conversion kit, glad I'd got it, now can build the conversion, got the Italeri Z.506B kit to do it.

The BroPlan Z.506C conversion most likely will be "The Last Italian" I'll build in 2020 barring obtaining other modeling subjects e.g. Italian Kits FIAT G.50V which am hoping will be re-released by year's end. Patient Internet Searching indeed has worked for me over last 14 years of continuous model building, never thought I'd ever be able to build as many "Italians" as have done so since 2006 :clap: :thumbup:
...in good order, didn't think it would so soon even though shipping was 1-1/2 times the kit cost! The kit is all vacuform, thought they'd be cast plastic parts, good kit instructions but no water decals :wtf: :twisted: unless can rustle-up any third-party Z.506C ones will have to paint it generic Tavola X marine livery, may have to do same with BroPlan's Caproni Ca.316 kit as well. I'd said above the BroPlan Z.506B conversion most likely will be "The Last Italian" but may move it up to being the first vacuform build considering the entire model will be built around the BroPlan vacuform fuselage & tailplane with Italeri C.506B parts, less unnerving possibly than building an entire vacuform model. The earliest I might get to building it is during August 2020, dozen more builds yet to go!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Look: Balaton Modell BM7265 Savoia-Marchetti S.75

Post by Editor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:56 am

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:52 pm
The 2017-vintage 1/72 scale Balaton Modell BM7265 Savoia-Marchetti S.75 resin model kit arrived from Hungary in mail today December 27, 2019:

Far as I know BM7265 the only complete 1/72 scale model kit of the military S.75 currently available for sale; Balaton Modell also market the 2018-vintage BM7264 S.74 civil airliner. Kit BM7265 appears to be well crafted with good interior parts detailing, to my delight it comes with decals & presumably parts for the Regia Aeronautica Italia (RAI) transport, if so will build it in RAI livery otherwise will built it in Hungarian Air Force livery as part of my Group IV builds later in 2020.
I didn't realize you got this kit! I', looking forward to this build. If you can send me a short review, I'll post it on Stormo. Use the same rating system as in other kit reviews if you can.

RetiredInKalifornia

Yep, Sure Did...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am

I didn't realize you got this kit! I', looking forward to this build. If you can send me a short review, I'll post it on Stormo. Use the same rating system as in other kit reviews if you can.
...Thought you'd asked me to build it in Hungarian livery. After building the Serie II Macchi fighters may commence Serie III builds starting with it or the FLY Caproni 101. The Cunarmodel C.207 build is well progressing, will post build progress update later today. I've figured out way to alternately display with Daimler-Benz 603 engine attached or the engine canopy, former with bit of added spare parts bin super detail. The kit lacks number of parts, must fabricate them, otherwise its a good kit, good subject for those wishing to generally super detail it.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yep, Sure Did...

Post by Editor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 am

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am
...Thought you'd asked me to build it in Hungarian livery. After building the Serie II Macchi fighters may commence Serie III builds starting with it or the FLY Caproni 101. The Cunarmodel C.207 build is well progressing, will post build progress update later today. I've figured out way to alternately display with Daimler-Benz 603 engine attached or the engine canopy, former with bit of added spare parts bin super detail. The kit lacks number of parts, must fabricate them, otherwise its a good kit, good subject for those wishing to generally super detail it.
Yes build the Hungarian variant. You mentioned you had ordered it but I don't remember you had received it. If you find sometime to do a quick kit review with your general impressions out the box. A C.207 would be awesome!

RetiredInKalifornia

Yes...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Editor wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 am
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am
Yes build the Hungarian variant. You mentioned you had ordered it but I don't remember you had received it. If you find sometime to do a quick kit review with your general impressions out the box. A C.207 would be awesome!
...Am assuming its for the Ballaton Modell S.75, may do that before commencing the build. The C.207 Daimler-Benz 603 "power egg" is complete, see the on-going Group II: SEM Model Macchi C.205N-1 & N-2, Cunarmodel Macchi C.207, RS Models Reggine Re.2007 Resins post for photo details.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yes...

Post by Editor » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:49 pm

yes a Review of the Ballaton Modell S.75. I have a great video to complement the build. The S.75 was arguably one of the best planes SIAI produced and actually made it to Tokyo (starting from Rome) flying over the USSR in 1942. It was the only successful flight by any of the Axis partners during WWII (Japan, Germany and Italy) to connect to each other via air route. A good aftermarket accessory for this model would be the angular rudder.

RetiredInKalifornia

Cunarmodel Macchi C.207

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:46 pm

Daimler-Benz DB 603 "Power Egg" - Not Mountable On Fuselage Firewall With Air Supercharger "Snail" Glued On!

Cunarmodel Macchi C.207 Compared In Size To SUPERMODEL C.202 Serie I:

Last edited by RetiredInKalifornia on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retired In Kalifornia's Aircraft Model Builds In Progress Photos

Post by Editor » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:03 pm

That's one beautiful looking plane! Article please.

RetiredInKalifornia

Thanks...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Editor wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:03 pm
That's one beautiful looking plane! Article please.
...Will get to article tomorrow.

I'd modified the engine section for optional "power egg" display or cowling in place; Elmer's White Glue too weak to hold cowling on, had to hard-glue it on with cyanoacetate, could be pried off but won't do that, engine "power egg" sits next to model in my Macchi fighter variants box (see post below).

Build went off OK till yesterday, getting main landing gear on troublesome, trying to fit engine "power egg" on fuselage firewall today bloody damn nightmarish, only could go on leaving off the supercharger "snail", don't want to pry it off.

RetiredInKalifornia

Aeronautica Macchi In-Line Engine Fighters Collection

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 pm

• Left: All 1973-Vintage SUPERMODEL C.202 Kit Build Options
  • Middle: Maybe Future C.202 Prototype Build, SEM Models C.202D, Hasegawa C.202EC With SEM Model Cannons, SEM Models C.204, Italian Kits Wings C.205M Hasegawa C.202 Conversion
  • Right: C.205V Prototype Modified SUPERMODEL Kit, SEM Model C.205N-1 & N-2, Maybe Future C.206 Build, Cunarmodel C.207