Savoia S.79 Sparviero

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri May 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Stefano wrote: ... If you are interested to (and if our friend Kubrt is not offended by this) I could post here my observations on this aircraft.

Stefano
Ciao Stefano,
An excellent short history of this plane. I would be very interested to read more about this plane and your observations.

Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Stefano » Thu May 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Ciao Vince,

These are my observations about 278-3 MM 23945. Although not definitive, I think they could be of help for anyone who is interested to this subject.

I find that the profile in Squadron in Action no. 1071 has the spots too thin. The original photo in same book, page 40, in facts, was overexposed.

The camo pattern is better represented by another Reggiane-built example of the same period (MM 23881, of the previous serie XIII): the 278-3 of Cap. Oscar Cimolini (this aircraft had a brief and tragical career that should be interesting to tell another time)

Note that in these aircraft the upper camo extended under the leading edge and rear the lateral engine cowlings. Colours used by SIAI in that period were Giallo Mimetico 3 (FS 33434), Verde Mimetico 53192 (FS 34128) and Marrone Mimetico 53193 (FS 30140), but Reggiane used either Giallo Mimetico 3 or 4 (FS 30266), Verde Mimetico 2 (FS 34092) and Marrone Mimetico 1 (FS 30118) or 2 (FS 10076 matt), so the latter factory could have used a combination of these colours. In my personal opinion, grey contrast in b/w photos of Reggiane-built ‘79s suggests the use of Verde 2 (the darker), Marrone 1 (and perhaps #2) and Giallo 3. Undersides in 278-3 were Alluminio (Matt Aluminium), despite most sources indicate Grigio Mimetico (FS 36231). The same for the interiors: the only two surviving ‘79s show that the all-metal cockpit area was in Verde Anticorrosione (a primer, usually FS 34558), while the metal/fabric rear fuselage was sprayed in a light grey (probably FS 36307 or 36321). Reggiane, at least on its fighters, used Verde Anticorrosione FS 34227 for the structure, and FS 34230 for some details (ammo boxes, etc), so it is possible that it used these hues also in S 79s. The individual number on the nose was white, not red, as typical in this Unit. By the image is not possible to establish if the Squadriglia badge –four cats on a torpedo- had been applied on the fuselage. This badge was seldom applied on 278ª’s aircraft. It was born by Cimolini’s MM 23881. Kubrt had an educated guess and applied it, and I think this is not wrong. Engine cowlings were freshly painted yellow. Note that RA used at least two hues of this colour: a lemon yellow identical to RLM 27 (FS 33655) and an orange yellow (FS 33538). The light shade of it in this b/w photo suggests it probably was the first of them. Spinners in MM 23945 were also yellow as per official indications, with red tips. Front surface of the propeller blades were light blue, very similar to RLM 65, while the rear were painted anti-glare matt black.
For some reasons, 278-3’s torpedo is lacking of detachable fins, but in operational use this feature was necessary, for it ensured the correct dive angle. Even in other aircraft in this period this lacking can be observed. It is not known if it was due to a sort of shortage or to a temporary change in releasing technique.
The MM, in about 5cm-high black characters, was usually placed below the rudders in this way:

SM 79
MM 23945

Wing insignia were of various types. It seems this aircraft had the following

-Sorry, I'm not so practical to insert images and it seems this is a bit too large!-
Of course, any discussion on these observations is welcome.

Stefano

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

S79

Post by D520 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:47 pm

Ciao Stefano.
Many thanks for this exhaustive research which I find very useful. As a matter of fact and without any aggressive intention, I have found that most modelers do their S 79 camos the wrong way. And to me it is a strange fact when so many good pictures are available and should be the only reference when one paints. I suppose that the task of spraying a mist of green and brown like in reality, is an obstacle for manies, but, after all, you just do in scale what they did in real. That's why Italian aircrafts camos are so attractives and so unics, and that's what I like! Ciao, jean. :D :D

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 am

Ciao Jean,

Thank you for your comment, that I highly appreciate for it comes from a great expert of RA and one of the best modellers around.
I agree 100-per-cent with you.
I understand that sometimes a modeller (expecially if newly interested by RA) could find too expensive to buy several books to make a model, but that's why this site is for! I think there's no problem for anybody of us to send material and documentation by e-mail or to post it here, if this could be helpful. Vince docet.

Au revoir, Jean, we all cant't wait for your next masterpiece!

D520

It won't be long!

Post by D520 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:26 pm

Stefano I have started to work on a S79, and be sure I will put you to work! Ciao, jean.

D520

Stefano, check your e-mail!

Post by D520 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:40 am

n/t

Kubrt
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Kubrt » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:13 pm

Ciao,

here are "in progress" pictures of my Savoia, but text is only in Czech language...

http://www.modelplac.cz/htm/148/savoias79.htm

Jakub "Kubrt" Vilingr

Kubrt
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Kubrt » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Stefano wrote:Due to my PC problems, only now I've seen your excellent work. Really great! I hope you'll continue to build Italian aircraft. I expecially appreciate the correction of the windscreen: how did you made it? Vacu-form on a new master and plastic strips?
Canopy is original Trumpeter kit. Canopy is only sanded and polished. Then I glued plastic stripes with liquid cement... The work was horrible, but result is quite good. I´m sorry, but I haven´t seen your question.
Jakub "Kubrt" Vilingr

steveiow
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

S79

Post by steveiow » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:49 pm

I have 2 Italeri kits,1 Trumpeter and 4 Airfix.
My question is how can I make them to this standard?
Beautiful models
Steve

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 am

In regard to the 1/48 Trumpeter kit, try reading Jean's recent article that contains a few references to the trumpter kit:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArti ... JB_1a.html

There are also PE corcetion sets avaiable for these kits:

http://www.stormomagazine.com/PhotoEtch_Eduard_RA.htm

pennacondor
Pilota

Interior colors for a Sm.79

Post by pennacondor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:06 am

Hello,

which is (are) the correct color for the interior of the Gobbo Maledetto?
From various sources I read it should be gray, similar to the Grigio Azzurro Chiaro.
However, the two preserved aircraft have many areas painted green... the one in Trento is possibly repainted gray, since the metal beyond the instrument panel (towards the engine) is verde anticorrosione and it's a very hard place to be reached for a repaint...
The aircraft in Vigna di Valle (Italian AF museum) is light green in the cockpit and gray in the rear but both colors are craking in recent years and reveal (also inside the wheel wells) a darker green, close (by eyes) to a mix between RLM02 and SAC green FS34201....

Wartime pics (a few in colors) show the inside of the access ladder in both light and dark paint.... the light could be either gray or green while the dark one 'should' be a dark gray according to a SIAI document (1940) which specifies that color for access doors and floors. The same document says nothing about cockpit colors....

Any info about this?

Thanks in advance.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Jean,
Great job on your SM79!
I am only guessing, but judging by the decals you used on the tail with the ship markings, is this Buscaglia's airplane?
Thanks,
Vincent.

D520

S79

Post by D520 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello Vincent. No not at all. The score board on the tail is a reminder of the supposed to be score of the whole units of the RA during the battle of Pantalleria, june 42, (operation Harpoon), and it was not kept very long as a matter of facts. Merry Xmas to another old fart purser! :D :D

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Hello Jean,
Thanks for the information.
Joyeux Noel!
Vincent.