Art Work: Revi C/12 D Gun-sight

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Art Work: Revi C/12 D Gun-sight

Post by Editor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:33 am

Here's a drawing I just finished of a Revi C/12 D Gun-sight used on C.205Vs. Its part of a project Stefano and I are working on. I didn't have in mind to make the drawing as detailed as it ended up being and it has certainly thrown off my schedule (almost 2 weeks to draw this) but I thought I'd share it with everyone. Also let me know if you would prefer (Richard?) to see Art-Work in its own Category instead of posting in the Modeling-Pics section, after all this is an Italian content site and art-work is par for the course, so to speak :esmile:

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Fabulous Rendering...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm

...NO WAY I'd matched that with art styles I'd employed, have to relearn from scratch with 3-D rendering software, don't know if I'd want to given my age. Could you render any of the San Giorgio sights? A set of Tipo Cs would be great! I've fabricated generic Tipo Cs for my models over the years, may do so with SEM Model Macchi C.205Ns am currently building unless they had Revi sights, didn't know Italian military aircraft had them, presuming the ANR did after the September 1943 armistice on C.205Vs & G.55s.

The art I've decades-long wanted to render is that of the original 1942 CONVAR B-36 twin-tail bomber design, nobody's done that yet far as I know, earliest can get to it is mid-2022 whilst waiting for any new pre & WWII Italian military aircraft releases. I prefer 2-D art rendering but don't want to shell out lotta dough for Corel Draw, if absolutely have to will learn 3-D rendering to do it.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Art Work: Revi C/12 D Gun-sight

Post by Editor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks Richard, yes I can certainly do a San Giorgio gun-sight and I agree the Tipo C is the one to do, its the most interesting sight of the three. If you can find a good 90o degree color photo of the sight I can do it at some point and it'll save me time having to make adjustments and use the work on other projects. In this drawing I started out with a perpendicular drawing but it was taking too much time to make adjustments, sizing etc., so I settled with a slight perspective view. I reached a point where I couldn't abandon the work for a simpler drawing (I don't need all this detail) and the time needed to finish the drawing was dragging out - I don't like to stop what I started, so it turned into a two week grind.

btw Marvel is coming out with: Star Wars - Darth Vader "A New Story begins following the events of The Empire Strikes Back" Vader's son escaped the dark lord, but Vengeance will not. Not sure if its a graphic novel or a comic book series but it should be interesting - Greg Pak is writing it.

RetiredInKalifornia

Found This Again Doing Internet Search...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Editor wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm
Thanks Richard, yes I can certainly do a San Giorgio gun-sight and I agree the Tipo C is the one to do, its the most interesting sight of the three. If you can find a good 90o degree color photo of the sight I can do it at some point and it'll save me time having to make adjustments and use the work on other projects. In this drawing I started out with a perpendicular drawing but it was taking too much time to make adjustments, sizing etc., so I settled with a slight perspective view. I reached a point where I couldn't abandon the work for a simpler drawing (I don't need all this detail) and the time needed to finish the drawing was dragging out - I don't like to stop what I started, so it turned into a two week grind.

btw Marvel is coming out with: Star Wars - Darth Vader "A New Story begins following the events of The Empire Strikes Back" Vader's son escaped the dark lord, but Vengeance will not. Not sure if its a graphic novel or a comic book series but it should be interesting - Greg Pak is writing it.
AIRCRAFT GUNSIGHTS - San Giorgio Tipo A,B,C

Came across the website years ago, here's another:

Modellismo che Passione - Collimatore San Giorgio: Sistema di puntamento degli aerei da caccia italiani del secondo conflitto mondiale includes photo of Tipo C near 90°, is watermarked, won't paste it here, don't want to tick off the owner :shifty:

Thanks for the Marvel Star Wars info, don't follow comics other than video adaptations; Disney owns Marvel, could it become Star Wars canon :think: Remember perusing Superman et. al. "silver age" (1956-1975) comic books at the Color Corner Paramount & Del Amo Blvds liquor store when was living in Lakewood, California, it well as 1950s Googie shopping center sign is still there, this when comic content was squarely aimed at 8 to 12 year-olds like me. Vividly remember one serial c. spring 1963 of Superman loosing his super-powers to point of starvation , had to eat "mass quantities" of "human food", including "millions & millions" of hamburgers, comic ended with quip of him having made "Mac Doogles Hamburgers" famous :lol:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Thanks for the links, the first one is really good. Finding a good color pic (90 degree view/perpendicular) of a SG Tipo C isn't so easy. The views in the second link aren't square enough so I'd have to do some guessing on parts and (mostly) adjustments that introduce inaccuracies. But you'd think I would have done a SG gunsight before a Revi, it's part of the reason this drawing turned out to be a grind ie., I'd rather do something directly related to the content of the site, although the Revi had been used on C.205s.

BillShu
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by BillShu » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 am

wow that's an incredible drawing. It's not a detail I had considered in the past, does anyone make a 48 Revi gun sight?

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:40 am

Thanks Bill. Quickboost make 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 Revi C/12 D Gun-sights.