Page 1 of 2

W.i.P. Bf 109 G6 RA 70 - 4

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:27 pm
by Rick
The intention is to reproduce in 1/48 the Bf 109 G6 RA 4 - 70 "Vespa arrabbiata"; for the wings camouflage the reference is Aerodetail 5 photos page 74 - 75 #5 and 2 and the drawing page 51; for the subject see D'Amico - Valentini "The Messerschmitt 109 in Italian service" page 41 for profile and photo; please let me have your opinion.
Image

Image

Riccardo

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:29 pm
by Editor
Its beautiful Riccardo! The engine detail and the reproduction of the camouflage are excellent.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 pm
by Stefano
Excellent study of the mottles! Which kind of Italian colours did you choose to mask LW fuselage insignia?

Stefano

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:35 pm
by GAJouette
Riccardo,
Excellent project.Your engine detail and the paint are outstanding.I'm very much impressed with your mottles too, they look perfect.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Camouflage colors

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 pm
by Rick
Ciao Stefano
Making reference to the above cited profile, I used Grigio Azzurro chiaro on which a darker grey is painted; perhaps it was a color prepared by the specialists or, and this is my hypothesis, it was Grigio Mimetico;this is only a probable use but the effect is very near to the profile and the photo.
Riccardo

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:45 am
by lananda
Very beautiful job.
Only one doubt: the white band on fuselage is intentionally irregular or some correction is needed?
ciao

white band

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:49 am
by Rick
The white band is to be corrected on the rignt side; the photo was a great help for the enlargement of the image
Riccardo

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 pm
by Vincent Biondi
Looking very, very, good Riccardo!
The colours are bang on. I really like the engine detail.
Whose aircraft are you modeling? Gorrini?
Vincent.

selected subject

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:52 pm
by Rick
No Vincent, the selected subject is the one coded 4-70; the pilot is unknown; as I wrote before there is an interesting profile and a more interesting photo on the book by D'Amico Valentini "The Messerschmitt 109 in Italian service" at page 41.
According to D'Amico, while the part concerning ANR has been superseeded by more recent books, the part concerning the Regia Aeronautica is still valid, and in my opinion is fundamental for describing the use of this fighter by the Italian aviation

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:32 pm
by lananda
There is a profile of this aircraft in the book ALI STRANIERE IN ITALIA BF109 at page 24 that shows a solid overspray of grey on the german original codes,but at page 32 of the same book there is a photo that shows the same aircraft (in background) with the grey mottled with another shade of a lighter color (maybe also grey) that appears different from the 76 of the undersurfaces, as on your model.
In my opinion this profile is partially incorrect, so it will be interesting to see the photo from the D'AMICO-VALENTINI book.
ciao

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:40 pm
by Capitano
Rick,

Very nice work. Nothing like a mottle pattern is there? I hope you post more pictures as the work progresses.

.

Photo

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 am
by Rick
I agree, the profile on Ali Straniere in Italia is partially incorrect; the photo present on D'Amico Valentini book is the same present on Ali Straniere; it a bit larger and includes part of the white band; interesting is also the profile by Valentini, I used it as reference because, of course, the use of the greys is only probable.
Riccardo

Progress

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:28 am
by Rick
I have correctedthe white band on the right side and perfomed the obliteration of the German insigna on the wings

Image

Image

Riccardo

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 pm
by Stefano
Rick,

in my opinion, the overpainting of German wing crosses is a too much light grey. It would be logical that the colours were the same for fuselage, i.e. the medium grey for uppersides and the light grey for undersides.
Moreover, even though none of known photos are showing 4-70's fin, there was surey a swastika to be overpainted too...

Stefano

Wings obliteration

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 am
by Rick
Ciao Stefano
Thanks for the answer; I have submitted the question also to Ferdinando D'Amico on the 150° Gruppo site and also he suggested to use a darker grey probably prepared on the field for the upper surfaces; I think I shall use the same darker grey that the originalphoto shows to be used for the fuselage and I have reproduced for the fiselage of my model; I have not yet performed the fin obliteration, I wanted first solve the color problem for the upper wings.
Thanks again
Riccardo