Gull Models 1:48 Macchi C.202

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
dylan the rabbit
Pilota

Post by dylan the rabbit » Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 am

And it is so hard to soar like an eagle when you fly with a turkey....

Well, I'm going to persevere with this lump of plastic. All the panel lines are going to be filled in with my home made goo of glue and sprue (from injection kits), and that'll just have to do. I've already slathered the wings, and I'll do the fuselage next.

I will need to make a new hump, as this one is too short, but that's a way off yet!

Cheers,

Nick

Capitano
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Capitano » Tue May 19, 2009 1:21 pm

How thick is the plastic, are you going to be okay sanding and scribing new panel lines?

dylan the rabbit
Pilota

Post by dylan the rabbit » Wed May 20, 2009 6:06 am

It's thick enough, and I'll only do a light scribe. Should be ok.

However:

This kit is crap.

1. The entire fuselage length is shorter than the scale plans provided, and they look pretty good against builds I've seen on the net. Go figure!
2. The fuselage hump behind the pilot's head is too short, and lacks the indent on either side.

I haven't even checked the wings against the plans yet, as they're still on the sheet.

It needs:

1. A new hump making.
2. Complete rescribe.
3. A scratchbuilt cockpit (not too big a deal).
4. Wheel bay scratchbuild.
5. A set of decals.

The kit cost me 7 quid. Do I:

a) Bin it?
b) Continue with it in the hope of building an acceptable representation out of it?

Hmmmmm?

GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Wed May 20, 2009 8:35 am

Nick,
Go ahead man and build it.I have no doubt you can get this project done well.As I stated in an earlier post you can't always trust kit supplied drawings as they the drawing may well be outdated or just plain wrong.If you'ld like I'd be more than happy to scan copies of the drawings I use for my Macchi's.I've built up a small but decent references for the Macchi fighters and can supply you with detail drawings as well as G/A's.All you need to do is let me know where to sent them.

It's true that building a vacuform can be challenging but very satisfying in the end.Many year ago I built my first Vac kit ,admitedly because of the lack of kits in my preferred subject (WWI) area.But once the first was completed and the amount of satisfaction I gained from completing the project had me hooked.That first vac kit is now in storage,and I'm still proud of the Fokker D.VII to this day.I hope that someday you'll feel the same about your Macchi 202.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS Have a look at Combat Models online at www.combatmodels.us .There are several excellent kits on Italian A/C in 1/48 and 1/32 scale in their line up.

dylan the rabbit
Pilota

Post by dylan the rabbit » Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 am

Cheers Gregory.

Tell you what. PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you a scan of the plans I have. Then you can let me know what you think of them.

More progress on the Macchi tonight.

Sanded down the gloop on the wings and one half of the fuselage prior to scribing. Definate possibilities here...