A beginner's tale - Part I (the fighters)

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

A beginner's tale - Part I (the fighters)

Post by flyingbabydoc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am

Dear friends

I am assuming you are already tired of seeing in Stormo all these masterpieces by Jean, Lubos, Vince, Maurizio and all the others. So now it is time to look at some "not-so-good" (in fact horrible) models, which however represent my serious effort into getting better at this hobby. At least I had heaps of fun assembling them, and I think that is what it is all about. Except, maybe, my first resin kit (partial) - the Mc200 from Special Hobby. That gave me headaches!

I am still using a beginners airbrush (from Revell) - next step will be to acquire a real airbrush.

All of the models are in 1/72

So fire your critiques away - that is the best way for me to learn.

Cheers all

Alex

1. Mc. 202 Series II from Italeri (RA 97a Squadriglia)

2. Mc. 200 Series I from Special Hobby (RA 88a Squadriglia)

3. Mc. 205 Series V from Italeri (RA 363a Squadriglia)

4. Mc. 205 from Italeri (ANR 1°Gruppo)

5. Fiat Cr.42 from Italeri (367a Squadriglia - pre-War)

Thanks for your comments. I will be away for a few days, but as soon as I get back I will read them eagerly.

Cheers

Alex

Adamello
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Adamello » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 am

Hi Dr Alex,

As I am a beginner myself and have yet to complete my first aircraft, I must say I admire your prolific output despite the models having some flaws. Kudos for having the courage to just plow through and finish the things!

Kind regards,

Adam
Adam Goloda

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Alex, thx for posting your models. There is a lot of good stuff to be seen there. It looks to me like your not doing too bad with your AB and a newer one would only help you even more.
If i was to criticise anything it would be your aerials. They look like they would have the scale thickness of a babys arm!!!. Try streching some sprue or using invisible mending thread. Both would be ok for 1/72.
I love the paintjob on the CR.42. Top quality,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, I'm ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by flyingbabydoc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 am

Hi guys!

Thanks for your messages and input! I am sitting @ frankfurt AirPort waiting for my flight to brazil i will be without internet for a while so i will answer your comments when i come back!

@ adam: let's get in touch and maybe we can help each other with the starting phase

@ guy: thanks a lot. The aerials are stretched sprue but maybe too thick still. I am glad i haven't burned the while thing! Believe it or not, i insert catheters in veins thinner than that...

Cheers

alex

Bernhard_1978
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by Bernhard_1978 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Alex,

some of your models are really great - especially the bombers.

Concerning the aerial wires: I use fishing line with a diameter of 0.10 or 0.08 mm (available from amazon.de) and it really works well. Cyanoacrylate glue (the thick "gel"version) is good to adhere the wire to the antenna masts and the fin.

Best regards,
Bernhard

flyingbabydoc
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by flyingbabydoc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:17 am

Hallo Bernhard

Vielen Dank für deine Empfehlung!

I am trying now a colourless suture that seems to work just fine. If not, I will try the fishing line

BTW, what do you find here in Deutschland as substitute for "future" (finish coat)?

Herzliche Grüße

Alex

Bernhard_1978

Post by Bernhard_1978 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 am

Hallo Alex,

as substitute for "Future" I use acyrlic gloss varnishes. I tried Tamiya Clear spray in the past, but wasn't happy with it. Now several layers of Revell Aqua 01 work quite fine. I found out that it's really crucial to thin it quite a lot to get a smooth finish.

Vallejo Model Air was also not too bad.

Herzliche Grüße nach Ulm
Bernhard