1/48 SM.79 TRUMPETER DETAILED BUILD

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
guitarlute101
Comandante di Squadriglia

1/48 SM.79 TRUMPETER DETAILED BUILD

Post by guitarlute101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:07 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first build posting here. I'm really impressed with the site and hope you enjoy my build. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

For this thread I'll be building the 1/48 Tumpeter SM.79 with a lot of aftermarket sets. I've been collecting the material for a few years now and it's time to start the build. Here's what I have -

Trumpeter SM.79..............................

Eduard and Part of Poland detail sets..........................

Alpha Flight Torpedo, trolley and exhausts
True Details rein wheels
3 Vector Alpha Romeo engine

Sky models Decals

I'll be modelling the aircraft as "open" as possible including the engine areas. I'll start by removing the fuselage interior detail. I'll have some build posting soon.

Mark

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Just one question: why did you take that crappy model instead of the less easy but more correct Ca one? Do not take this as a critiscism, but I already built 3 CA and sincerely the trumpy kit is......... Good luck with your work, regards, jean. :D :D

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

D520 wrote:Just one question: why did you take that crappy model instead of the less easy but more correct Ca one? Do not take this as a critiscism, but I already built 3 CA and sincerely the trumpy kit is......... Good luck with your work, regards, jean. :D :D
Please feel free to enlighten me. Hopefully, I won't build a "crappy" model.

D520

Post by D520 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

I did not mean that! i meant that , as a basis, the trumpy kit was crap, and i mean it! :D :D

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 pm

D520 wrote:I did not mean that! i meant that , as a basis, the trumpy kit was crap, and i mean it! :D :D
When you built the Trumpeter kit, what did you find as pros and cons of the kit?

Mark

D520

Post by D520 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:41 pm

This has been debated before so , i will sum-up the main problems: undersized tail surfaces (closer to 72nd than 48th!), engines coming from imagination, oversized guns, interior poor to say the least, and the list goes on; Of course it builts more easily than the CA, but if you want a close to the real thing as can be, then the CA is a much better base. If the trumpy is your choice, I will respect that of course, but if you pay a look at my models of the S79 in the gallery, then you will understand my critiscism a little bit better.
best regards, Jean. :D :D

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:03 pm

D520 wrote:This has been debated before so , i will sum-up the main problems: undersized tail surfaces (closer to 72nd than 48th!), engines coming from imagination, oversized guns, interior poor to say the least, and the list goes on; Of course it builts more easily than the CA, but if you want a close to the real thing as can be, then the CA is a much better base. If the trumpy is your choice, I will respect that of course, but if you pay a look at my models of the S79 in the gallery, then you will understand my critiscism a little bit better.
best regards, Jean. :D :D
Thank you, Jean. THAT is useful information. I'll check into the CA kit availability. I have no affinity for either kit. You're builds are quite nice.

cheers,
Mark
Last edited by guitarlute101 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAJouette

Post by GAJouette » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey Mark ,what only one wing. Welcome to Stormo my friend glad you've joined. Which ever kit you end up building no doubt in my mind it's going to be one excellent project. Have you seen some of the WWI item post to the gallery? Excellent works.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm

GAJouette wrote:Hey Mark ,what only one wing. Welcome to Stormo my friend glad you've joined. Which ever kit you end up building no doubt in my mind it's going to be one excellent project. Have you seen some of the WWI item post to the gallery? Excellent works.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Thanks for the warm welcome, Gregory! I was glad to see you here. I have another scratchbuild planned to begin after my Hansa-Brandenburg W.13 is finished. I'll be posting here. Hope you like the build.

Mark

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Welcome Mark and thank you for your post. I'm looking forward to your build-up. You've got allot of after market accessories so it should turn out nice. I've seen only one build-up of this kit so yours should be treat!

D520

Post by D520 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:43 am

Mark, let me know when you start your built and if you are interested I will provide you with a scan of the impressive Replic article I used for my S79. I will be away for three weeks so by the end of April it should be OK. Best regards, and , Yes, welcome to Stormo, sorry i did not noticed you were new on the site! :D :D

shivadog
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by shivadog » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:23 am

Did You saw that comparison?

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... aver79.htm

I planed to build both of them one day, but mayby i'll stay by CA model only.

Elias
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Elias » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 am

Hello to all!
Does anybody know if the Eduard - Part PE sets and Vector Fiat engines are suitable for the CA-Flashback kit?
Cheers
Elias

Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Chris Busbridge » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:22 pm

The one positive of the Trumpeter kit is its availability, as both the Flashback & CA kits are less easy to come by these days. At least there are plenty of online articles on how to 'improve' the Trumpeter kit. Check these two out:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/nov ... mpsm79.htm

http://www.swannysmodels.com/SM79.html

Funnily enough the kit shares similar shape problems to the OOP 1/48 E.P. Original resin kit, namely the cowlings and rear stabilisers, which made me wonder if it was used as a pattern master for the Trumpeter kit. The fabric effect is also poorly rendered on this kit, so would do something about that as well.

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have the newest Ali D'Italia book on the SM.79 and (after some consideration) I think I'll go ahead and build the Trumpeter kit and use the scale drawings to correct any issues with the kit. It seems both kits are quite a lot of work and there aren't many builds of the Trumpeter kit out there so maybe this build will help anyone who has the Trumpeter kit that is wondering about the issues involved with it. I'll post everything I do so please keep the comments and suggestions coming, I sincerely appreciate it.

Jean, I have Replic magazine issues #133 and #134 with an SM.79 build. Are those the ones you're talking about? I know the Trumpeter kit is not your favorite but I really hope you check in on my thread and offer your advice as I go along.

Mark :)