1/48 SM.79 TRUMPETER DETAILED BUILD

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 am

I say good luck Mark. Jean is a master builder and im sure any advice from him would be great to have. Ive seen a couple of these built at my model club. Apart from the noticable oversized guns, the biggest No No for me is the totally wrong shaped engine cowl openings. Of all your mods that would be probably the biggest difficulty. Good luck,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, I'm ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Mark,
Jean truly is a Master and as Guy stated any advice from him is great to have. Glad you decided to go with the Trumpeter SM.79 .No doubts about it you're certainly up to the challenge. I'm be following this thread with great interest.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette

guitarlute101
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by guitarlute101 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks Guy and Gregory. I'll be doing quite a bit of scratchbuilding for this build, I want it to be something a little different. I'll be modelling the engines "opened up". I think my biggest challenge will be to scratchbuild the exhaust collector rings.

Here are a few of my build threads -

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 081&page=1

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 391&page=1

I'm really looking forward to building and learning from this build.

Mark

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 am

I enlarged the new scale drawings from the Ali D'Italia book (#28) from 1/72 to 1/48 scale and used them to check the Trumpeter kit dimensions. The fuselage lays out very well with the doors and windows on the side and the window on the bottom lining up correctly.................

I'll definitely have to deal with the rudder hinges.

The book give the wingspan as 69.55 ft. Half of that is 34.7 ft. i used a wing and a fuselage half to check half of the span. The wingtip is at 0 and you can see the ruler measuring it at about 34.6. I might go ahead and add a shim along the edges of the wing where it meets the fuselage to lengthen it a little.

I'lll have more soon. Next I'll have to sand off the interior detail.

Mark
Last edited by guitarlute101 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Mark, I have absolutely no doubt in your amazing abilities after reading through your other threads that you posted. Your M5 looks stunning and i recommend any of you Stormo regulars to go and have a look.
You list as an ongoing project, a 111z? Do you have a link to this as i love the Zwiller and have plans to build one myself,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, I'm ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Luftwoller wrote:Mark, I have absolutely no doubt in your amazing abilities after reading through your other threads that you posted. Your M5 looks stunning and i recommend any of you Stormo regulars to go and have a look.
You list as an ongoing project, a 111z? Do you have a link to this as i love the Zwiller and have plans to build one myself,
...Guy
Thanks Guy! I'm looking forward to scratchbuilding some parts for the build. That's where I find the most fun. Here's that link :

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php? ... 355&page=1

Mark

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 am

And here are the wings over the scale drawings. Everything lines up pretty close.

I'll have to scrape off the interior detail. It is very light, incorrect, has a lot of ejector pin marks and it doesn't match up with the exterior detail.

Mark

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 am

And here are the fuslege halves after sanding.................

More soon,

Mark

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:30 am

Great stuff Mark, what are you using for your interior refs?
...Guy

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Luftwoller wrote:Great stuff Mark, what are you using for your interior refs?
...Guy
Thanks Guy. Here are some of the references I'm using..

Stephano has been a tremendous help and I'm always open for more information to get everything as close as I can get it.

And here is the Vector engine. I test fit the cylinders to check out the dimensions. Everything looking good so far.

Mark

Kubrt
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Kubrt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:10 am

Hello Mark,

here are few pictures of my own built of Savoia S.79. I have kitbashed Trumpeter and Flashback kit :D But text is only in Czech language, sorry

http://www.modelplac.cz/htm/148/savoias79.htm

http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=126

Kind regards from Czech Republic ;-)
Jakub "Kubrt" Vilingr

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:36 am

Kubrt,

I ran across your thread as I was researching for my build on the Internet. It was one of the builds that inspired me to begin my S.79. Most excellent work!

Mark

D520

Post by D520 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:35 am

Hello Mark. You will find a full article in Replic n°169 on the Trumpy S79 by O. Spiridon, with engine open. This friend of mine won a gold medal in Tellford with his great build. Best regards, jean.

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Sat May 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Wow Mark, that is a serious haul of references. Looking forward to seeing this progress,
...Guy

guitarlute101

Post by guitarlute101 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks Guy,
I haven't forgotten about the build, I just finished up a WW1 Halberstadt C.II and more time has opened up for me. I'll have postings of the engines very soon.

Mark