Macchi C200

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi all,
Here is latest progress.
Fuselage halves together and starting to tidy up.
Wing and wheel well parts ready to assemble.
Sorry about the photos by the way, my wife has gone off for a short holiday and taken her digital camera with her!
Cheers, Dave.
There's so much left to learn and no one left to fight.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Ciao tutti,
progress on the wing assembly. I have the centre section masked off as I intend to paint this after connection to the fuselage. I have left the rather crude paper and blu-tac mask in place to show how I got the finished 'fried-egg' markings. It works as, being not a good mask, it doesn't leave a hard edge. I started with the paper mask to get the centre marrone mimetico colour then cut it wider, masking off the centre with blu-tac. I will mask off the completed camo' markings to get the back-round verde mimetico.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Ciao tutti,
More pics of progress.
Wing assembled, painted and decals applied ready to be connected to fuselage.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:16 am

Hi all,
I have completed the basic fuselage painting with decals and it is ready for attachment to wing assembly. More later, when I have the two assemblies together, tidied up and painted.
Cheers, Dave.

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Nice work Dave. Great colour scheme too,
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, Im ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks Guy. The build is coming along nicely. The kit is quite good (good fit of parts, etc.) and the Eduard detail set really adds to the finnish.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:45 am

Ciao tutti,
Here is the latest progress. Wings and fuselage together and a bit of weathering done.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Had a bit of a disaster with this build. When I was trying to fit some of the parts from the Eduard detail kit into the wheel well area I realized that the kit's upper wing mouding is very thick and sticks out into the well area. In trying to thin it back I ended up going right through and leaving small holes/cracks in the wing roots. No problem I thought, I will just do a repair with some filler! That's o.k. but not, it seems, if you use Revell's 'Plasto'! If you use too much it just eats away at the plastic and I ended up with big holes in the wing roots! Anyway, I have now repaired the holes. Whilst I was doing it I thought that I might as well sort the area right out and add some details. A search on the web found some good pictures of the wheel well area. Thanks to those people who like to take a camera with them when they visit a museum and point it at some very obscure areas! I am now finishing the undercarridge and will post some pictures when I am done. Rest assured I will not be using 'Plasto' again!
Cheers Dave. :roll:

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:17 am

Ciao tutti,
I have finished the wheel-well area, after repairing from my filler disaster. Oh well, it's an ill wind as they say. At least it made me look at the area again and try a bit harder. There are some support bars which are moulded as part of the fuselage sides (inside). However, they should go between the body sides and the main support bars. So I got rid of the moulding and made up some of my own from plastic rod, placed correctly, I hope! Anyway here are some pictures.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 am

L'ultimo, sono finito!
I had a few problems with paint finishes and filler, which means that the final finish is not as good as I hoped, but I don't think that it is too bad. The added details from Eduard and Quickboost make it look a little better. The kit, I thought was not too bad, with detail and fit of parts, etc. Anyway here are some final pictures.
Cheers, Dave.

Luftwoller
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Luftwoller » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Very nice. Much better paint than the 1/72, it has to be said. Well done in persevering through the tribulations.
Whats next on the bench?
...Guy
'Your a disgrace to the male Genus, Im ashamed to call myself Homo!'.......Hubert J Farnsworth (Futurama)

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Guy,
I had some problems with the clear varnish coating not being clear, causing me to have to strip all the paint off the underside and start again-twice! Also I was still too thick with the verde colour topside. With all the problems with the underside paintwork, when I took the masking tape off the top surface half the decals came off with it! I had to resort to the decal spares box. All in all I was glad to finish with not to bad a result.
I am still getting used to spray painting techniques since I bought a Revell Aqua Basic Set airbrush. I have just finished a Italeri AS 42 Sahariana, which I made for light relief and airbrush practice. I tend to do a Regia Aeronautica subject every other kit, alternating with all sorts of other aircraft. My next RA project will be a Fiat CR42 from the early desert war period.
Cheers, Dave.

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Ciao tutti,
I decided to strip all that paint off the 1/72nd C200 and try again. Working with a previously finished model is never easy, but I think that it looks a little better.
Cheers, Dave.
:lol:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Much better, I presume you used an airbrush the second time around ? Its not easy to work in 1/72 scale. Like your AS 42 :)
Vince Tassone

Dave Bayliss
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by Dave Bayliss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks Vince. Yes I used an airbrush this time. After comments I received for my first post, I decided to go for an airbrush. I am still getting used to working with it. It is much easier to mask and work with components before assembly, I have discovered. However, I thought it was worth trying to improve this model and it was good practice. I had trouble with the 1/48th version and other models due to the final matt varnish coat being cloudy. I note from other posts that this is a common problem, finding reliable clear coats. I am using exactly the same type of paint now with no trouble, so I think it was just that particular pot, which was defective.
This site, particularly the forum, has been an inspiration to me and my modeling skills. Even adverse criticism makes one more determined to do better, praise encourages you and the splendid examples of the superb modelers on this forum gives you a standard to aim for.
Cheers, Dave. :o