Macchi C.200 - 1/48 Pacific Coast Models

Post in-progress or completed model pics here
jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Macchi C.200 - 1/48 Pacific Coast Models

Post by jrlucero » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello guys, it's been a long time since I posted anything new. Right now I'm working on the Macchi C.200 in 1/48th scale by Pacific Coast Models.

Here are some progress pics:

This is the cockpit, painted with lifecolor's Verde Anticorrosione, I still can't manage to get good results with this paints:

Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200:

Undersurfaces in White Ensign's Grigio Mimetico:

Verde Mimetico 2 by Mr.Kit:

Mr. Kit's Giallo Mimetico 4:

Next is step is to do the Bruno Mimetico mottling to complete the poached eggs scheme. I'm not quite sure what aircraft to do yet. I'm more inclined to do the artwork plane of the kit. Any suggestions using this scheme?

Best regards,

Jose
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41
1/48 P-47D Brazilian Jambock Squadron Senta Pua!

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm

c'mon José! The decos for a Saetta are varied and interesting to do! Try a Breda wrap around type of camo, much more exciting than the classical poached eggs. YOU are the modeler don't you? :D :D :D

jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by jrlucero » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Hello Jean my friend! I really like de Saetta too and I promise I'll do the next one in a cool Breda scheme. I've settled that this one will be in the poached eggs scheme. What I haven't decided yet is what markings to use! So many options!!

Best regards,

Jose
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Great job so far José! I haven't yet seen a C.200 in the 79a Sq (1o Stormo) markings, based in Sicily June 1941 with the large (extended) white rudder cross. There should be a few Macchi machines to choose from. The large white cross was used to distinguish C.200s from Hurricanes (the only other monoplane operating in the area).

gianni
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

mc 200 79a Sq. 1° Stormo

Post by gianni » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 am

Dear Vince, and dear all,
I'm very intrested in this airplane, as my ancestor capt. Giuseppe Pesola fought over Malta too. If anyone has photos or other documents about, I'll be so happy to see them. I have just a photo of capt. Pesola near a Macchi mc 200 in Sicily, I belive soon after he arrived in Catania Fontanarossa (as written on the back) early in June 1940. MC 200 still had no white band or white cross, I know they got them late in 1940.
I'll try to send the photo, I would like to discuss about colours and some details to reply that airplane.

Thanks
Gianfranco Pesola
NB In Internet there is the report of the fight of my uncle vs "Timber" Woods, one of the defender of Malta, on Gloster Gladiator 5519 (I need confirmation on this, too) "Charity". One of the first duel for italians in WW II, and the first claimed victory of englishmen over Malta, even if my ancestor wasn't shoot down!

jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by jrlucero » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:52 am

Hello Vince! Thanks for your input. I too like those big white crosses and fuselage cone in white. The dificult thing here is to make out what scheme is applied on some of these Saettas.

I've scaned some pictures from Ali D'Italia's Macchi C.200 book to ilustrate our discussion.

On this first picture I can't make out what scheme has been applied. There canopy seems to have only the small plexiglass side panels but not the low cut doors. 1st Stormo's insignia is oversized, maybe a 1/32 badge from de 1/32 Pacific Coast Macchi C.202 will do the trick.

On this picture, I'm quite sure that the aircraft on the forefront has the poached eggs scheme and it also has the plexiglass side panels and the low cut doors.

This is my first choice is this 54th Stormo bird in the poached eggs scheme. It has the plexiglass side panels and the low cut access door seems to be in a lighter color, Verde Anticorrosione or Grey perhaps.

Maybe you guys can help me sort this out. Or have clearer photos.

Best regards,

José
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41

BLAKE
Pilota

Post by BLAKE » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Dear Jose, I look forward to seeing this model finished. I've seen some of your work and knowing how talented you are, I know it will turn out beautiful! Please keep us posted with regards to the Bersaglieri and AB 41.
thanks, Blake

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Here you go José, this should help you out. White 5 is the one you want, although the lineup of 88a Sq. machines appear to be all Macchi's while the inflight photos appear to be Breda's - the opposite wrt to the profiles when you compare the rudder crosses (thin and thick extended crosses).

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mc 200 79a Sq. 1° Stormo

Post by Editor » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:42 pm

gianni wrote:Dear Vince, and dear all,
I'm very intrested in this airplane, as my ancestor capt. Giuseppe Pesola fought over Malta too. If anyone has photos or other documents about, I'll be so happy to see them. I have just a photo of capt. Pesola near a Macchi mc 200 in Sicily, I belive soon after he arrived in Catania Fontanarossa (as written on the back) early in June 1940. MC 200 still had no white band or white cross, I know they got them late in 1940.
I'll try to send the photo, I would like to discuss about colours and some details to reply that airplane.

Thanks
Gianfranco Pesola
NB In Internet there is the report of the fight of my uncle vs "Timber" Woods, one of the defender of Malta, on Gloster Gladiator 5519 (I need confirmation on this, too) "Charity". One of the first duel for italians in WW II, and the first claimed victory of englishmen over Malta, even if my ancestor wasn't shoot down!
Ciao Gianni,
Thank you for your post. So if I understand you correctly "Timber" Woods is credited with having shot down your uncle when indeed he was not shot down at all. I presume your uncle is still alive ? I would like to know more about this combat so do keep us up to date on your research.

Thank you.

jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by jrlucero » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks for the profiles Vince, it's clear now, I'll do white 5.

Gianni, very interesting story about your uncle, please keep us posted on any new developments in your investigation.

Blake, thanks for your comments. The Saetta is my favorite aircraft, I simply hope to do it justice.

Best regards,

José
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41