SM 81 Pipistrella in Malta

Post topics relating to the Mediterranean war, the convoy battles, SM.79 Aerosilurante squadrons, Operation C3
Maxidad66
Comandante di Squadriglia

SM 81 Pipistrella in Malta

Post by Maxidad66 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello everyone, it's been a year or two since I've posted on the site, but now I have a question for you.

I'm considering entering a group build on another site, the subject of which is Malta 1940-1942. I have Supermodel's SM81 - as I am sure you RA experts know, there are two sets of markings provided, one from the Abysinnian campaign in a rather attractive cream and red "sunray" scheme, the other appears to be a torpedo bomber in a more usual Italian camo, showing the markings of Squadriglia 218. Does anyone have any idea whether this was used in the Malta region during the relevant period?

If not, I could get aftermarket decals - Skymodels do a set (72-019) which apparently has three decals sets for an SM81, but I cannot tell what aircraft these are for? Any help out there?

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Maxidad66,
According to the sources that I have, the only SM81 unit that flew over Malta, was the 202, 203 Sq.s of the 40th Gruppo, 38 Stormo.
In November of 1940, the unit briefly operated at night over Malta.
The 218 sq was involved in the Balkan theatre.
If you look closely at the Skymodels Decal sheet, you will see the type of aircraft per unit in small black print..
For example, top left corner of the sheet, BR20 and all the decals that belong to that aircraft.
In your case, third from the top, middle right side, all the units for the SM81.
The 202 Sq, 218 Sq, and the 222 Sq. along with the crescent moon insignia.
So, you have a choice of three different Sq.s, unless you prefer the 202, which is the one that flew bombing opeations over Malta.
As far as camo on the SM 81, Giallo Mimetico 3 or 4 over Verde Mimetico 1 or 2, upper sides. Grigio Mimetico lower sides.
Hope this helps you.
Vincent

Maxidad66

Post by Maxidad66 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Vincent,
Thank you very much for your research into this matter; I really appreciate it.

So to summarise: if I wanted to show the SM81 in appropriate markings for an aircraft operating over Malta, then using the Skydecals sheet mentioned (I don't have it yet) would be the way to go - using the markings for the 202 squadron aircraft.

Thanks again - I'll post when it's finished, but that may be a few months off.

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Maxidad66,
Yes, if you want to model the aircraft operating over Malta, then I would use the Skymodels decals.
Have fun,
Vincent.