Aeronautica Italiana Spitfire V camouflage

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
finargil
Pilota

Aeronautica Italiana Spitfire V camouflage

Post by finargil » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am

Hi, everyone, it's my first post here,
I am looking for precise information about the colours used on Italian Cobelligerent AF Spitfire Vs. I understand they were second hand machines handed over by the RAF, in the standard Desert Scheme of Middle Stone, Dark Earth over Azure Blue. They were thoroughly refurbished to get them to operational status. The majority of black n whte pictures I have seen (not many, indeed) show an indistinct camouflage that can be the product of every individual machine being partially repainted as necessary. At the same time, size and placement of Italian insignia do not match that of RAF ones.
Is there any indication of the colours used?
Especifically, I am trying to build a model of "20-4", an LF Mk Vb with clipped wings, appearing in a picture on the Squadron booklet.
Grazie,
Fernando Rolandelli

Will
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by Will » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 am

Do you know the serial number of your Spitfire or one of the dotation ?
William L

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Italian Coobelligerant Spitfires

Post by Rick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:42 am

Visit the site
www.eaf51.org
you will find an interesting article about Coobelligerant Spitfires campouflage with interesting color photos.
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

finargil
Pilota

Post by finargil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 am

Wil wrote:Do you know the serial number of your Spitfire or one of the dotation ?
Not the RAF serial... just the Italian tactical number, "20-4".
Fernando

finargil
Pilota

Re: Italian Coobelligerant Spitfires

Post by finargil » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:17 am

Rick wrote:Visit the site
www.eaf51.org
you will find an interesting article about Coobelligerant Spitfires campouflage with interesting color photos.
Riccardo
Thankyou, Rick,
I have seen them. The colour photos are of a slightly later period (post-early 1945). The notes about colours just give some general guidance. The black n white pictures are mostly well known.
No help there, I m afraid.
Fernando

Rick

Spitfire camouflage

Post by Rick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

The date of the film visible in the first color photo is reported as 2-3-1945 that, if for the date is used the English notation, the date is February 3th, 1945, early 1945; I don't remember where but I have seen that a disposition stated to re-paint the spitfire with grey and green colors.
Ciao
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta