A 'What If'

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Pete57
Comandante di Squadriglia

A 'What If'

Post by Pete57 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:51 am

I'm planning to buy the soon-to-be-released, R-S Models's 1/72 kit of the Reggiane Re-2006, and build it in the livery the prototype would have worn, had it been completed and flown.

I'd like some opinions as to whether this would have been the regular Reggiane-scheme, or the Germans have mandated the use of RLM shades, instead...

Thanks, :wink:
Pete57

chrism

Post by chrism » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:58 pm

Since it would have been a late war aircraft, I would use RLM colors.

Vincent Biondi
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by Vincent Biondi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm

RLM colours, definetely!
Vincent.

Pete57

Post by Pete57 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks guys! :D

RLM colors they'll be, and...German insignia...I suppose...right? :?:
Pete57

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

I think it would be a good idea to get your hands on a copy of F. D'Amico's "Camouflage & Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943-45" since it explains the variations in camo and insignia used by I and II Gruppo Caccia ANR applied to Italian aircraft e.g., G.55, C.205V. Choose a Gruppo and then apply the schemes used by that unit at the end of April 1945.

Pete57

Post by Pete57 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Webmaster wrote:I think it would be a good idea to get your hands on a copy of F. D'Amico's "Camouflage & Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943-45" since it explains the variations in camo and insignia used by I and II Gruppo Caccia ANR applied to Italian aircraft e.g., G.55, C.205V. Choose a Gruppo and then apply the schemes used by that unit at the end of April 1945.
Thanks admin,

I believe I've got it as an ebook.

However, I'm not planning to build the 2006 as an 'operational' machine (I believe R-S Models has got the 'What If' version planned as well), but rather the way the prototype would have looked, had the conflict lasted a little longer and the aircraft been given a chance to fly.
Pete57

Chris Busbridge
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Chris Busbridge » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:08 am

eyewitness accounts describe the sole re.2006 prototype as being in an overall yellow colour (zinc chromate?). only the control surfaces were camouflaged, just like the re.2005 prototype, was sported an overall pale grey (GAC?) finish on its first flight.

allesandro bartelli's re.2006 IBN editore book will shed some light on the matter, despite having no photos of the aircraft in it!

check out my re.2006 build in the stormo gallery.

Pete57

Post by Pete57 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:24 am

I’d like to resurrect this topic as I've managed to find one copy of Barteletti's book in the States, and after reading the "Colouring" chapter, I'm left with more doubts than firm answers.

First and foremost what’s the evidence the Italian aviation industry used zinc chromate primer during the conflict?

According to M.Ullman in his web-article on Late-War RLM 76 at Hyperscale, the yellowish hue of the late war RLM 76 was due to the reduced percentage of pigments used by the German aviation paint industry, toward the end of the conflict, that made the paint more 'translucent' causing the zinc chromate primer's color to 'show thru'!

Indeed Mr.Ullman goes on saying '...I was very surprised when I learnt that German Aviation lacquer also contains zinc chromate. ..., however he fails to produce any details and/or evidence on the German aircraft industry’s use of this type of primer!

Other sources state that the LW’s Green RLM 68 primer also contained zinc chromate, toned down – I suppose – the same way it was down in U.S. practice by adding black, paste, enamel, etc., but again no evidence/references…

It is true that zinc chromate was a commercial primer developed for the aviation industry by Ford and DuPont as far back as the 20’s/30’s and that any Douglas DC-3 user – and Lufthansa did use them during the conflict – was potentially aware of its benefits, but given that even a closed ally to the US, as England was, did not begin to use it until 1944 (with the Martin-Baker MB5) I simply find it odd that the German aircraft industry may have been using it during the conflict!

If this indeed turns out to be the case, then it is well possible that the information had been given by the LW to its Italian ally toward the end of the conflict and the RE.2006 may indeed have used z/c as a primer.
However, I find it hard to believe it could have been used as far back as the Re.2005 prototype, as suggested by Barteletti in his book...

Can someone please cast some light?

Regards,
Pete57

kippenhan
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

What about this

Post by kippenhan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:31 am

Pete57,

First, in your original post you mentioend that the RS models Re2007 will be reissued. When and where?

Second, I think this is very inteersting as I have just started the RS Re-2006 and was planning on the "yellow" paint sceme.

My thought is this. I don't think if they are necessarily related, but in Aero Fan 16, No 60 March 1997, there is the article abut the recovered Re2001 that had photographic equipment installed. In the past, it was depicted as grey, but in the article they discuss how it was actually yellow. They question if it was "giallo cromo 7" with the English name as Chrome yellow 7.

So if the Re-2001 was painted yellow, it is possible the Re-2006 was also yellow. The reasons for painting yellow could be entirely different, so who knows.

Mike

Pete57

Post by Pete57 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:04 am

Actually, I said 'soon-to-be-released' and that was true in November 2011...

The kit has now been released and, unlike the original, pre-2002 issue (in two versions) that was resin, the current one is short-run plastic.

In parallel with my recent post on this topic I also did a search on the web and have since found out that amongst the VERNICE ANTICORROSIVA PER PARTI METALLICHE VELIVOLI Gruppo di classificazione 25/DGCA group, there was a yellow one, produced by Corti Milano (product # 1052).

There is also evidence (and it has been mentioned in another topic in this forum) that FIAT used a yellow-greenish color as a primer called tekital.

Indeed both Corti 1052 or tekital could have been used by Reggiane, but - please correct me if I'm wrong - most of the survivors/wrecks indicate Reggiane used Verde Prato Anticorrosione so why would they have switched to a different primer, considering also that the Re-2006 was built using a Re-2005 off the assembly-line?... :?:
Pete57