Tte Bordoni Bisleri's Fiat CR42 @ Tobruk, June '41

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
AgaPablo
Pilota

Tte Bordoni Bisleri's Fiat CR42 @ Tobruk, June '41

Post by AgaPablo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:45 am

Hello everybody!
I've just began a 1/33 paper model of a 95squadriglia Fiat Falco (numeral 9) belonging to Tte. Bordoni Bisleri which I would like to depict at the time of Tobruk's first siege in late spring '41.
Up to now I've completed the engine and most of the cockpit:
ImageImageImageI've seen beter resin cast A74 Fiat engines at this same forum, and even at smaller scales! but this was a piece of flat printed paper and a handful of pins before being cut and rolled into shape!
The cockpit still has its instrument panel and seat's back to be fitted, this will be done on a later stage of assembly.
ImageImageAnd now a couple of questions:
1st. The fascist roundels lack the white background. Is this correct for spring '41?
2nd. The engine cowling is mottled sand, but most Italian planes had their cowlings painted yellow beginig in 1941 in the African thetrer. Is this (again) correct?
3rd. I also bought an Italian fighter pilot figure, it depictsa Sergente, but Bordoni was a Lieutenant at thetime. Had the lieutenants their badge sewn on their shorts like the NCO? In this case, was the lieutenants loop emboidered directly to the shorts or on top of s piece of cloth?
Too many questions I'm sorry....

Thank You all!
Last edited by AgaPablo on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GAJouette
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by GAJouette » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Excellent project my friend.Stunning details on the engine.I hope to see more card models from you in the future.Looking forward to the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:10 pm

A very interesting build, particularly since its made of paper. The engine detail is quiet good.

Answers to some of your questions:

1. A Directive was issued in October 1941 that eliminated the white background on the wing roundels, see the link below.

http://www.stormomagazine.com/RegiaAero ... Directives

2. Yellow engine cowlings appeared in the Spring of 1941 and lasted until the end of 1941.

If you could, try finding an actual photo of the plane you're modeling or try contacting the publishers, a website should be provided in the reference you’re using.

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Thank You for your swift response!
I've been doing some research these days and found little evidence of CR42's with yellow cowlings in NA except for fighter-bombers, which I think it's not Bordoni's case.

I'll leave the mottled cowling and paint white the fasci background unless I find evidence otherwise.

Also I did some extra work in my kit, these are the last pictures.
Enjoy!

Image Image Image

D520

Post by D520 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 am

Excellent so far. In reality "Robur" was only on the right side of the aircraft and not on both sides, you may check my model of the same plane here
http://www.stormomagazine.com/ModelArti ... sleri.html

Hasta luego.

AgaPablo
Pilota

Post by AgaPablo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 am

Hello everybody again!
Some more pictures of my paper Cr42 current status:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
I've been surfing for pictures of this plane in the web and found any; only a picture of it, in Osprey #34 Italian Aces, shows the motto Robur on the right side, but that's all, is there any picture of the left side available? I'm sorry to insist on this, but the same book shows the motto Robur painted on both sides of his Mc200 cockpit.

Regards to all!

Vincent Biondi

Post by Vincent Biondi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

Wow!
Paper airplane, looks real good so far!
Very nice colour scheme.
Vincent