Breda Tebaldi-Zari

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Jergon
Pilota

Breda Tebaldi-Zari

Post by Jergon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello! I am going to paint a pic of this bird: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tebaldi-Zari ,which was only built in prototype in early 20's and then shut down. I would like to make a 'what-if' picture of it in real military camouflage, but I cannot find any Italian aerial camouflages between 1920 and 1930 (what is probably period the TZ would service if it was more succesful). Or is possible to use common Italian camo of 30's and WW2 for an airplane of 20's? The Italian camouflages with all the stripes and spots look very cool... :esmile:

RetiredInKalifornia
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Closest To A "What-If" Can Think Of...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Jergon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:14 pm
Hello! I am going to paint a pic of this bird: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tebaldi-Zari ,which was only built in prototype in early 20's and then shut down. I would like to make a 'what-if' picture of it in real military camouflage, but I cannot find any Italian aerial camouflages between 1920 and 1930 (what is probably period the TZ would service if it was more succesful). Or is possible to use common Italian camo of 30's and WW2 for an airplane of 20's? The Italian camouflages with all the stripes and spots look very cool... :esmile:
...Ansaldo AC.3 (license-built Dewoitine D.9); LF Models art of it is based on black/white formation photo of them during 1930s likely before the Regia Aeronautica Italiana adopted mimetico colors & schemes:

Photos of my build:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Breda Tebaldi-Zari

Post by Editor » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Welcome to Stormo! That's a very interesting plane, the lower wings formed part of the landing gear so that the plane achieved a very low sleek profile.

The Breda Tebaldi-Zari looked like the drawing of the Fiat CR.1 (1924) below, that is a wooden aft-fuselage with a metal engine covering, upper and lower wings in silver dope, white rudder movable surfaces:

Up to the Ethiopian campaign, most Italian fighters of the prewar period were finished in aluminum or silver dope (fabric covered aircraft Fiat CR.20 below) with tri-colored rudder - see the Stormo Color guide (Pre-war period 1923-1938)

Post your work here when you're done.

Jergon
Pilota

Post by Jergon » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks for replies... :esmile: It is pitty that mimetico started too late for BTZ, but I guess that four-coloured camo looks also good enough... :esmile: But guess I rather put it to fuselage too, because I don't know exactly which parts of BTZ were metallic and which ones were wooden... :esmile:

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Here are some more photos that might help:

Jergon
Pilota

Post by Jergon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Well, my picture is done - you can see it here, if you would like :esmile: :

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vdnz08

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:38 pm

That's gorgeous! Great job. If you like I can post your work in the Gallery with a link back to your site www.artstation.com.

RetiredInKalifornia

Excellent Art...

Post by RetiredInKalifornia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:05 pm

...Always appreciate aviation artistry, may resume mime after retiring from model making, top priority is original 1942 twin-tail CONVAIR B-36 bomber design. Great Effort :thumbup: :clap: