Macchi C.205V Veltro Markings Adriano Visconti

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
73north
Comandante di Squadriglia

Macchi C.205V Veltro Markings Adriano Visconti

Post by 73north » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am

Hi

I have not been on here for a long time ( and had to re-register ) my old aircraft is on the Gallery -
the 1/48 Fiat G.55 by David Walker - so my credentials are hopefully valid ?

I just wanted to ask a simple question - I wish to shortly build the Hasegawa 1/48 Macchi C.205V Veltro Serie III
with the aftermarket Markings by Peddinhaus of Adriano Visconti -
would I be correct in having the upper wing ANR ascist Markings in white - or are they really black ?

also I seem to have bought the Hasegawa ANR Version 1/48 that has the ANR Decals for Visconti - which I never realised !
which are the best to use ? - the Kit Decals by Cartograf or Peddinghaus

I have gathered together for the build all the etch sets by Eduard and the Moskit Exhausts -
so looking forward to building only my second 1/48 Italian Aircraft build

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Macchi C.205V Veltro Markings Adriano Visconti

Post by Editor » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Welcome back David - no credentials needed :) 18-1 did in fact carry white upper wing fasces (see the scan below) and there's plenty of photos of this plane (Ref. Camouflage & Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana 1943-45, D'Amico). However white upper wing fasces appear to have been a one-off or short lived, there are no other photos of C.205Vs that show white upper wing fasces - the upper wing fasces were black on a clear background for C.205Vs in RLM colors.

There's a photo that seems to show Visconti (once thought) on the tailplane of 18-1 but I'm not sure that's him and I'm not sure that he flew this plane either. In regard to RLM colors Visconti flew 23-1 and 19-1 (there's a photograph of him next to the plane with clearly visible MM, see below - courtesy of S. Lazzaro), maybe Stefano can add more here. 18-1 MM.92219 damaged on 29/4/44 piloted by Svanini.

I don't know who printed the Peddinhaus decals but Cartocraf are the best in the business - from my experience. Hasegawa probably had someone do the art work in-house and Cartograf printed the decals. Send in your work when its done.

Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Stefano » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Since in ANR (and in RA too) aircraft serials weren't signed in pilot logbook and seldom did in the unit diaries, it's hard to couple pilot and aircraft. In RA, the COs had often a pennant or used aircraft no. 1 (or had a favourite number, i.e. the 7 for Drago). In ANR, nor this happened.
The 18-1 was the first ANR 205 painted with RLM grays, according to orders, and there is a couple of pictures showing Visconti in a 'gray' cockpit, but images are too close to identify the aircraft. What we know is that 18-1 was the usual mount of Serg. Giampiero Svanini (5 kills in WWII of which 1 in ANR, but with the aircraft still not in this livery) who was hit in it during a combat. The too-much-visible white upperwing fasci were likely overpainted black, as all the following 205s had, but there is not photo evidence.
It seems that Visconti hadn't a personal mount. Two 205s he surely flew were the 3-1 (tropical 'smoke rings' camo) and 19-1 (RLM grays); for these (and other) items a sheet with new, accurate and carefully researched decals is to be published.
Best regards
Stefano

73north

Post by 73north » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm

many , many thanks

I appreciate this - sorry for tardy reply - but working 12 hours days lately in Anaesthetics in Edinburgh for NHS
has taken its tool this week - with Covid 19 masks being a nightmare to wear for extended periods -

anyway , waiting for the 1/48 Edaurd Landing Flaps and an Master Brass Pitot tube
( I also got Moskit Exhausts and the full Eduard 205 etch set ) - it seems the MC 205 Hasegawa Kit has gotten rarer
and more expensive as well , had to buy the ANR Version from the USA then pay 15 Dollars Customs fees

anyway -

best regards from Scotland David Walker

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am

73north wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm
many , many thanks

I appreciate this - sorry for tardy reply - but working 12 hours days lately in Anaesthetics in Edinburgh for NHS
has taken its tool this week - with Covid 19 masks being a nightmare to wear for extended periods -

anyway , waiting for the 1/48 Edaurd Landing Flaps and an Master Brass Pitot tube
( I also got Moskit Exhausts and the full Eduard 205 etch set ) - it seems the MC 205 Hasegawa Kit has gotten rarer
and more expensive as well , had to buy the ANR Version from the USA then pay 15 Dollars Customs fees

anyway -

best regards from Scotland David Walker
No worries, we're grateful to front-line healthcare workers. Stefano is surgeon, he works at a hospital in Padua that was the first to record a case of Covid-19 in Italy. He mentioned, interestingly how the military descended upon that area to isolate it overnight. Even then it was too late the way the virus spreads.

The Hasegawa 1/48 C.202 and C.205V kits are expensive. Even when the 1/48 C.205V was released in the early 1990s and especially the ANR kit which is difficult to find. You can usually find one on ebay at (exorbitant) prices. Italeri repackaged the same kit in 2016 and that too sold out quickly. Look forward to your build, keep us posted and keep safe!

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:55 am

73north wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm
has taken its tool this week - with Covid 19 masks being a nightmare to wear for extended periods - […]
I understand you, I'm a surgeon who works in a hospital near Padua, who saw the first dead in Italy. Within the day the hospital was closed and transformed in a Covid center for the province, while the hamlet of the dead was surrounded and locked in quarantine by Italian Army that same night…
We spent three months of true nightmare, as you said, but we're quieter now.
I wish you and your colleagues all the best. :thumbup:
Stefano Lazzaro