SM 79 "193-6": 'omino elettrico' insignia backgrou

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
centauro
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

SM 79 "193-6": 'omino elettrico' insignia backgrou

Post by centauro » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 am

Hi,
I am somewhat confused about the background colo(u)r of the 'omino elettrico' insignia applied on the SM 79 "193-6" of 19a Squadriglia, 87° Gruppo, 30° Stormo. There is an Italian website with a lot of SM 79 profiles, including this one depicting the red background with the caption stating: "...the well known 'omino elettrico' insignia, painted first on black and subsequently on red background".
I wonder, what sources or documents this profile based on, as all other known profiles as well as Sky Models and Tauro decals represent blue background, and on the well-known b/w photo this colo(u)r looks certainly somewhat different than the red "6" being more close to the background of the "fascia" emblem.

Any input would be much appreciated.
IS

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:26 pm

I can look into this.

Stefano
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Post by Stefano » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:42 am

I have no evidence, but I vote for the blue. Of the colours you mean, I agree with you that the red is different in shade, and background cannot be black, as the outline of the electric man is visible by contrast.
Moreover, it is logical to mind it as "an electric man in the sky", so I think you're right in believing it blue. Unless direct testimonies or evidence, I repute the "black to red" hypothesis as a guess.

Believing that other people could be interested to this subject, here are some info on it:
The aircraft was a Reggiane-built S.79, its MM being probably 22278 or 22279 (sadly shadow partially hid it). It participated to Malta attacks since the beginning, and was damaged by Hurricanes in the action of 10 July 1940. Is suffered several hits in the port fuselage side, but on the other hand its gunners claimed at least a (unconfirmed) kill.
CHI-MI-TOCCO'-CI-LASCIO'-LE-PENNE literally means "the one who hurt me lost his feathers" (i.e. 'he did not get away unscathed'). The holes were covered with small round fabric patches painted as British roundels (see img 1); a larger damage had a strip with the same colours (red on top) and the barely visible writing: MALTA 10-7-40.
The electric man was applied later, the first mission with it being on the following 28 November. It seems that 193-6 was the only one to wear the badge with background and motto. The latter, ARDISCO COLPISCO MENINFISCHIO, was written in white, with "Chinese" carachters, and literally means "I dare, I hit, I don't care". Note that the electrical man points front on starboard and aft on port. In Skymodel decals, instead, they are mirror-like.
About the camo colours, we must consider that very probably Reggiane used its own hues. They were, according to CMPR, Giallo Mim 3, Giallo Mim 4, Verde Mim 2, Marrone Mim 1, Marrone Mim 2. Judging by b/w contrast, in my opinion the colours were Verde Mim 2 (the darker), Marrone Mim 1 and Giallo Mim 2. Please consider, however, that Re.2000 in Swedish Air Force Museum is painted with original Reggiane colours, and wears a mottle camo that seems to be composed, judging by colour photo, by Giallo Mim 1 (or 2?), Verde Mim 53192 and Marrone Mim 2; in this case, the latter should be darker. The undersides were aluminium. The spinners, which appears to be white, were actually light blue (as the front side of propeller blades), with a darker tip that, according to IPMS Italy, was deep blue. The fascio on the cowling has a thin light outline.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Stefano

centauro
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by centauro » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:19 am

Thank you a lot Stefano for so detailed information! Regarding the red/black background, it seems to be a good example how myths are created: one provides a profile with a really detailed (and therefore pretending to be based on some good references) description and some historical background, avoiding such words as “probably”, “maybe” or “most likely” – just as the author saw (or even flew or painted) this a/c himself 67 years ago…

I’ve noticed that the shape of the “electric man” provided by Sky Models is rather wrong, the representation from Tauro is better, however, I can’t remember, whether the direction is correct there.
IS

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:57 am

I checked in Tauromodel site: yes, it is. And, judging by the profile, it seems that the writing on the left side is present too.

Stefano

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks to my friend Pierluigi Moncalvo, one of the best Italian researcher on the matter, I can now confirm that background of Electrical Man was blue. Background and writing were present only in 193-6, the aircraft of Ten. Gino Magnani, whose MM was 22326.
Pierluigi has sent the following drawing:

This artwork is the closest to the real thing, as it has electronically drawn by photos of the original aircraft. Pierluigi Moncalvo is doing a great work by illustrating and telling the history of RA's unit insignia on the bulletin of Gruppo Modellistico Trentino - GMT (www.gmtmodellismo.it). His work is so accurate that, for instance, he has found that six different variants of famous Red Devil had been made (CR.32, CR.32 in East Africa, CR.42, G.50-MC.200-MC.202, Bf 109 in RA, G.55-Bf 109 in ANR), and that the Ace of Clubs had 12 versions! So take the drawing above as the most reliable to date.

Stefano

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:35 pm

hallo centauro
Stefano has been very precise as usual and i agree with his colour as every photo,book,or reference in my possession conferme his reserch
ciao stefanuccio

centauro
Comandante di Gruppo
Comandante di Gruppo

Post by centauro » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:32 am

Thanks to everyone again!
IS