Captured Beaufighter

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Shane
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Captured Beaufighter

Post by Shane » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:57 am

I plan on modeling the Beaufighter that was captured by the Italians when it landed in Sicily en-route to Malta by error. I have one picture of it in an old publication "Regia Aeronautica Colori E Insegne 1935-1943 by Intergest, 1974. It shows the AC from the front right quarter. Are there any other pictures or color profiles available of this aircraft? Thanks
Shane
Shane

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:35 pm

There's a color profile and photos of this plane in Prede di Guerra , Ali Straniere in Italia #6, G. Garello.

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea
Generale di Brigata Aerea

Captured Beaufighter

Post by Rick » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:50 am

Concerning the camouflage of the captured Beaufighter, I want to inform you about the results of the research performed by Rudy Iemmi, member of IPMS Italy, and to which I participated.
The serial number of the airplane tells us that it belongs to the Coastal Command and we know it was captured at the beginning of January 1942.
Iemmi has used the book " British Aviation Colours of WW II", issued by the Arms and Armour Press for the RAF Museum; the book reports the rules concerning "The Official Camouflage Colours and Markings of RAF Aircrafts 1939-1945". In the Air Ministery Order A.926 dated December 12nd 1940, for the Temperate sea scheme camouflage" the use of bands in Dark Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey for the upper surfaces is foreseen. Subsequently the Order A.30 dated January 9th, 1941 states to substitute the Dark Grey with the Dark Slate Grey, so this could probably the camouflage worn by the captured Beaufighter; what is to be highlighted is that in the b/w photos the contrast between these two colos is not evident, so the airplane could appear camouflaged with only one color: but the camouflage with the overall Extra Dark Sea Grey was introduced only (according to the above mentioned book) with the Order A.864 dated September 9th, 1944.
This research is reported in the IPMS Italy Notiziario #2/2001.
Further information or documented correction I think are welcome.
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta