SM.79 Paint Scheme

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Pim_G
Pilota

SM.79 Paint Scheme

Post by Pim_G » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:13 am

Does have any information on this Sm.79?

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/314/32/0/17

Apparently it belonged to 205 Squadriglia, 41 Gruppo, 12 Stormo.
I want to paint a model in this scheme and was wondering what the scheme was for the upper area of the wings and possibily the Humbrol equivelants?

Thanks,
Pim

Rick
Generale di Brigata Aerea

S79 Bands camouflage

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:40 pm

According to the Club Modellismo Plastico Ravenna (CMPR) in his book " Colori e schemi mimetici della Regia Aeronautica 1935-1943" issued in 1979, the band camouflage was as represented in in the following picture

Subsequently in the web the following pictures appeared (AND IT SEEMS AUTENTIC), with a bit different colors but, what is more important, with a different distribution of the colors:
This colors distribution on all the aeroplane is represented in the following profile:
The CMPR profile refers to the colors:
verde mimetico 1 (mimetic green) FS 34258 HUMBROL 102
MARRONE MIMETICO 2 (MIMETIC BROWN ) FS 10076 HUMBROL 107 (matt)
Giallo mimetico 3 (mimetic yellow) FS 33434 HUMBROL 63 (LESS ORANGE)

WHILE THE COLORS OF THE PHOTO SEEM TO BE:
Verde mimetico 53192 FS34227 Humbrol 120
Bruno mimetico FS 30215 Humbrol 118
Hoping this can help
Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Rick

First S79 profile

Post by Rick » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 pm

I try to post the S79 CMPR profile again

Riccardo
Riccardo Trotta

Stefano

Post by Stefano » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:14 pm

Sorry, the colour image is a false!
It first appeared on front page of an old issue of Italian historical magazine STORIA MILITARE:

On page 1, the caption correctly states that it had been digitally coloured (Foto colorata con mezzi elettronici).

The artist had probably been inspired by the profile of Pietro Mazzardi (second image posted by Rick) which appeared in Emiliani-Ghergo-Vigna’s SPAGNA 1936-39 L’AVIAZIONE LEGIONARIA (Intergest, 1973-1976), ignoring the following, accurate CMPR study of 1977 (third image).
Mazzardi hypothized that colours were dark green, medium brown and ochre, and placed them according the tones of b/w photos.
Analyzing a factory wood model with originals paints held in Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnica in Milan, CMPR demonstrated that colours were a light/bright green “very similar” to Verde Mimetico 1, a reddish brown “very similar” to Marrone Mimetico 2 and an ochre identical to Giallo Mimetico 3. Due to orthochromatic films, in b/w photos red appears black and its complimentary colour –green- seems very light.
That profile created confusion and fooled other artists (see ADI 9 front cover and profile), but also a famous modeller like Cesare Pigliapoco, who reputed that image as authentic and painted in such way his CA 1/48 kit, as described in a “making-of” booklet in 2004. After reading it, I wondered for months whether the CMPR study had to be discussed. At last, I recalled where I had seen before that image (and, by the way, I’ve never seen at all an original colour photo of Aviazione Legionaria).
So, I consider the CMPR plan as reliable, even though green and brown could be a little different in hue from VM1 and MM2. I’ve not seen the wood model in Milan, and I hope that someone can post an image of it. I promise you I’ll check it in my next journey to Milan.
Just a couple of notes to add: the undersides were probably grey (no image of band-pattern ‘79s with aluminium undersides are known), but probably it was lighter than Grigio Mimetico (about FS36373 to 36463). Light blue could be an alternative which need to be studied (I don’t know the colour undersides of Milan model). The engine cowlings an conical centre ring were overall the same colour, sometimes with the upper third in VM1.
Historical note: band camo pattern had been introduced in 1936. The Spanish War experience showed it was ineffective in operational duty, and was soon replaced by the mottle scheme. Only Balearic-based aircraft kept it, due to the low threat of enemy aircraft in that theatre. It had been rarely used in early WWII.

I hope this helps.
Stefano

panzmeador
Pilota

Re: SM.79 Paint Scheme

Post by panzmeador » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:13 pm

Hello, all, a very interesting discussion from long ago. A few questions:

(1) have any contributors to the forum had a chance to examine the Milan model for colors in the meantime, since Stefano's last post on the subject? If so, can those contributors share their observations or photos of the model/camo scheme?

(2) any developments regarding the use of aluminum painted undersurfaces for SM.79s? Were these undersuface coatings used for certain series of production (likely repainted later if still in service)?

While I have all three ADI monographs on the SM.79, Kagero's "crickets and rats" books, etc., those are unfortunately currently all packed up and not easily accessible, so I appreciate any bibliographic references anyone may have in this matter--always interested in the Falcons of the Balaerics!

And a statement: best wishes for a very happy new year of 2021!

Phillip

Stefano

Re: SM.79 Paint Scheme

Post by Stefano » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:28 am

Hi Phillip,
Most of the answers to your questions are in the study of Vitocharts, in the section Color Guides in this site. There are also three pictures of the band-camo S.79 wood model.
As for the Aluminium undersides, grey officially replaced the Aluminium on early 1941, just on new aircraft. Old undersides weren't repainted however, unless a complete overhauling.
Best regards
Stefano