Regia Aeronautica 109 G

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
Hartmann
Comandante di Squadriglia

Regia Aeronautica 109 G

Post by Hartmann » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Vince I am working on an Italian 109 G-4. I have seen other 109's built and decal markings showing a segmented circle around the upper and lower wing Fasces. However Ali Straniere in Italia #1 Bf-109 in Italian Service pictures show a solid circle around the fasces (page 14). Is the segmented circle correct or are my eyes deceiving me? Also in the same book it shows that the facses were put almost entirely on top of the painted out German upper wing crosses not out towards the outer part of the wing off the painted out crosses (page 25) like in the directions and from other 109 builds. Any help on these problems is greatly appreciated. Thanks - Tom

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi Tom,
Good question, the segmented circle and square (ANR) did in fact exist and there's photo evidence of these markings; albeit only one photo exists for the segmented circle, and the photo is a top wing shot only. Under wing photos I've seen of RA 109s show a continuous circle. The top/bottom segmented circle appears to have originated in F. D'Amico's book and Valentini generalized it for all profiles in that book. D’Amico points out that the fasces were directly painted over the German cross (in the text) however Valentini profiles the location of the fasces as outboard of the crosses. Photo evidence indicates the fasces were painted directly over the crosses.

Hartmann

Thanks Vince

Post by Hartmann » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:29 pm

for helping me out it seems that the segmented circle turned into an urban legend so to speak and everyone models the RA 109 that way. Ok so when finish my 109 it will be solid circle and over the painted crosses. Thanks again Vince - Tom

lananda

Post by lananda » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 am

Hy,
the segmented circle is not an urban legend: the segments were part of the stencil used to apply the insigna.
If you look at this link you can find some interesting photograps, but te text is in italian only: http://www.150gct.it/static.php?file=static/Colore7.htm.
Good research.
Nando
ferdinando paron

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:55 am

Fernando,
Thank you for your post. We're not doubting the existence of the segmented circles, we're just doubtful as to its general use.