The camouflage of the G.55 Silurante

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
jrlucero
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

The camouflage of the G.55 Silurante

Post by jrlucero » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi guys,

In the previous forum there was a nice discussion of the camouflage colors of the G.55S. I'm just detailing the cockpit of the Vintage kit of the G.55S but I haven't decided which of the different versions of the scheme I'll use.

According to Camouflage and Markings of the ANR by Fernando D'Amico and Gabriele Valentini the camouflage of the G.55S could have been in either Verde Oliva Scuro 2 with Nocciola Chiaro 4 or Grigio Azzurro Chiaro 1. The undersurface could be in either RLM 76 or Grigio Azzurro Chiaro1. There really is no definitive answer given on the book.

Which of these seem more likely?? Every opinion counts here.

Thanks in advance!
Just build it!

José Lucero

Working on:
1/35 Autoblnda AB.41
1/48 P-47D Brazilian Jambock Squadron Senta Pua!

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Editor » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Jose,
I'll dig up that discussion on the camo scheme of the G.55 as soon as I return next week. I agree it was a good discussion. Riccardo Trotta will recall pointed that the top surface base color extended to the undersuraces with no demarction line indicating that the topside (base) color of the G.55S was the same as the undersurface color. Mottles were most probable VOS2.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

G55 Interior Colors / Riccardo Trotta

Post by Editor » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:39 pm

Riccardo Trotta
G55 interior colors
Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:21AM62.94.195.134

From the IPMS Italy G.I.S. (Special Interest Group) Regia Aeronautica Circular n°22-2000, cocerning the remains of the ANR G55s , flown by Serg. Maggiore Lucio Biagini and Capitano Giulio Torresi.

Interior colours:
Tail wheel structure: green
Wing spars and engine mount: light grey (perhaps the same anticorrosion light grey cited on the G50 manual).

Interior part of the covering plate (fuselage behind the cockpit?): natural aluminium

Plate which seems to constitute the cockpit: light yellow about F.S. 33578
Propeller primer under the colour: bright green

I hope this can help
Riccardo

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

G55S camouflage / Riccardo Trotta

Post by Editor » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:55 pm

Riccardo Trotta
G55S camouflage
Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:44AM62.94.14.192

Please, pay attention to your second image: it is possible to see that there is no difference in the shade of the lower part of the nose and the light color of the mottles; this detail could suggest the camouflage as used on the torpedo S79, released by the firm in Verde oliva scuro, were camouflaged for the use on the sea with Grigio azzurro chiaro mottles (there are some photocolors as proof). So our G55S could have been relesed by Fiat in the prescribed camouflge Verd Oliva scuro-Grigio azzurro chiaro e subsequently adapted for torpedo use like a S79. This hypothesis is included also in the last D'Amico-Valentini book about ANR camouflage
Ciao
Riccardo

Riccardo Trotta
Demarcation line
Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29PM62.94.195.97

Hi Vince
The demarcation line is probably the Verde oliva scuro, which, according to the specifications, had to extend for about 15 cm under the lead edge of the wing; please look at the second mottle, the one more distant from the fuselage; it seems it merges in the under wing color with the same shade;
I shall not kill anyone who should camouflage his G55S with different colours, but I like to analyze in detail the photos arrived till us and to discuss about these topics with people with the same interests
Ciao
Riccardo

Symmertical (coolant) intakes:
Last edited by Editor on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Editor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flying Machines Kit Reference / Chris Busbridge

Post by Editor » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Chris Busbridge
Re: I found a picture
Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:13PM81.178.228.88

This link shows the illustration used on the new Flying Machines kit, which gives a good represention of the scheme.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=FLY72003

It's thought to be Verde Oliva Scuro wavy lines criss-crossed over a Nocciola Chiaro base, with Grigio Azzuro Chiaro lower surfaces.

lb
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

g55s aerosilurante-camouflage

Post by lb » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:55 am

im'agree whit riccardo trotta

the box art are frequently indeterminates

we mast to remember the CZ 506 and 501 idro, and RE2000 navalized, the s79 etc

is possible to find the scheme "marino" in: "colori e schemi mimetici della regia aeronautica . postiglioni and degl'innocenti "
- coulors notebook nr E8

my pinion is : all camouflage of the airplane was re-painted , after modification works at fuselage, tail weel etc, in " grigio azzurro 1"
then overspryed whit " continuous rings " in green" verde oliva scuro 2 ".
(the mottle are too much accurate).

best regards

luca bossi