macchi folgore smoke rings

Post topics relating to Colors, Camouflage Schemes and Markings of the Regia Aeronautica and ANR
stefanuccio
Generale di Brigata Aerea

macchi folgore smoke rings

Post by stefanuccio » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

hallo all
soon i am going to reach the stage when i am going to paint the smoke rings on the macchi folgore 88-9 of maresciallo Gianlino Baschirotto
i am not quite sure if the rings are soft or hard edged i have seen some photos but i am still confused i am asking
how were the smoke rings painted in reality on the macchi 202?
what is the best tecnique to achieve good results on the macchi 202 model?
i am using hasegawa 1/48 scale kit
thanks everybody
ciao! stefano

D520
Generale di Divisone Aerea
Generale di Divisone Aerea

Post by D520 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:13 am

Ciao Stefanuccio. Here are a couple of suggestions:
Find a picture of the plane you are building to identify the type of smoke rings.
Try to draw the rings on a paper with a pen first to see if you have "understood" the pattern.
Use a plastic card and your airbrush to practise before you paint your model.
Good luck!
Jean;

warhawk
Comandante di Stormo
Comandante di Stormo

Post by warhawk » Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 am

You could also try reverse mottle - spray the green first, then mask the smoke rings and spray sand yellow over it...

Something like this
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/mottleshl_1.htm

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 pm

hallo warhawk
thanks very much for the tips i am not a very skillfull modeler i have seen
the way you suggested but i dont feal very confident in trying that do you have any other suggestion?
ciao stefano

Capitano

Post by Capitano » Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 pm

I would say, that since I hand sprayed smoke rings on a Hasegawa 1/48 C.205, that at that scale a hard edge on smoke rings is difficult to achieve. A hard edge is made by using tape or some other masking material. A soft edge is what you will get when spraying smoke rings free hand. The smoke rings on my Macchi are just fine. I would also suggest that you lightly spray a very very light coat of tan over the entire topside to help reduce the contrast between the colors. In fact, keep the sprayer further away than normal and move closer, just a little, to achieve the desired over spray. Remember, as scale goes down, colors should be lighter. I never use straight black for anything at the 1/48 scale, I use a dark gray for tires etc. Or you could just take the easy way out and get a set of smoke ring decals. I have a set but have never used them.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 pm

hallo paul
grazie capitano it make sense i just hope to make a decent job on this aircraft i have underestimated the difficulty of obtaining a good result also i am very worry of mistakes as the few hasegawa s kits of the macchi are very rare as the importer is stopping importing this make kits
thanks again
stefano

Kagemusha
Comandante di Squadriglia
Comandante di Squadriglia

Post by Kagemusha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:53 pm

You could always try the smoke ring masks for the Macchi 202 here: http://gatorsmask.com/aircraftmask.html or these decals: http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/SmokeRings.html

It's always better that you use the method you feel most comfortable to achieve the best results.

stefanuccio

Post by stefanuccio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:27 pm

thanks Kagemusha
this smoke rings are really not a very easy excercise for me i am in a struggle to make them right
ciao stefano